Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

saw 2K bet refused in bookies!

Options
  • 09-05-2018 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

Just saw a 2K bet refused in paddy powers. Some guy tried to bet on Argentello in the next at chester and the girl said he couldn't do it. He even said he'd take the sp and she refused the bet.

I was under the impression you could have what you want on at SP but obviously not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Just saw a 2K bet refused in paddy powers. Some guy tried to bet on Argentello in the next at chester and the girl said he couldn't do it. He even said he'd take the sp and she refused the bet.

I was under the impression you could have what you want on at SP but obviously not.

Did you jump in the queue and back it then? What odds?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

I didn't back it, just doing lottos. Not flush this week with communions etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

Well, it lost anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

I was tempted, I had a few quid on me but I'd be up **** creek now if it lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

I was tempted, I had a few quid on me but I'd be up **** creek now if it lost.

Hah just as well so. Lucky chap with the 2k in his pocket too..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

elbyrneo wrote:
    Hah just as well so. Lucky chap with the 2k in his pocket too..

Yeah right, that would have been gone in the next race. Anyway, he was probably a known trader, bookies refuse traders all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭antietam

2k????????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

My friend worked in PP before and she told me anything over 10k for their particular shop had to get HQ permission prior to acceptance

2k seems low though I would have thought

There was a documentary about a previous pro poker player in Ireland and he struggled to get a 30k bet down for the champions league and then said he found a boylesports in Tallaght that would take his large bets no questions asked

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

wally1990 wrote: »
    My friend worked in PP before and she told me anything over 10k for their particular shop had to get HQ permission prior to acceptance

2k seems low though I would have thought

There was a documentary about a previous pro poker player in Ireland and he struggled to get a 30k bet down for the champions league and then said he found a boylesports in Tallaght that would take his large bets no questions asked

€10k my hoop. If you walked in at 11AM any morning and wanted €2k at 5/2 on a horse you would struggle to get it on.

As for soccer, they should be accepting bets up to €1M on the big games as the prices are so pure and markets so liquid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I went up to Boyles shop today. Tried to put 2 bets on the Kerry V Laois game tomorrow.
    over 2.5 goals at 1/2
    over 45.5 points at 4/5.

Max bet allowed was 50 on each. Liability to them 65 quid. Jokers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I don't think there was anything nefarious going on in this case. My brother in law managed a few bookie shops in Galway and he told me that often a horse would be on their books for a very large liability and that the shops would just have no interest in exceeding that liability. Value has nothing to do with it. It is simply a case that once the potential loss gets so large, no one wants to take on any extra liability, therefore they just close the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Speaking of bookies taking a battering, does anyone remember when Dundalk went AW over 10 years ago? I remember on a few occasions being sent into a bookies in Galway with a few hundred quid to have on a horse (one of many). One I always remember was a wretched nag called Just Mary. I and about dozen other people had several hundred Euro on the the horse in a collective effort that sent its price tumbling. The price did recover after our initial barrage, but still went on to win.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

I don't think there was anything nefarious going on in this case. My brother in law managed a few bookie shops in Galway and he told me that often a horse would be on their books for a very large liability and that the shops would just have no interest in exceeding that liability. Value has nothing to do with it. It is simply a case that once the potential loss gets so large, no one wants to take on any extra liability, therefore they just close the book.

You're obviously not a big gambler. Unfortunately I know several lads that get refused with large bets, I've gone in half an hour later and they've accepted the same bet from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

tedpan wrote: »
    You're obviously not a big gambler. Unfortunately I know several lads that get refused with large bets, I've gone in half an hour later and they've accepted the same bet from me.

Bookmakers don’t refuse the bet, they refuse the person. I’ve had no problem getting any sort of bet on in my local area, with any of the different firms, but I’ve been knocked in shops where I’m not known. Often it’s a case of shop managers just not wanting the hassle of taking a big bet from a known shrewd punter that will wreck their weekly figures - you’re more likely to get knocked on a bet early in the week than at the weekend apparently. In recent years firms have given their managers a lot more responsibility when it comes to accepting a bet. Before, a large bet would need to be sent straight to the traders but now, every shop manager will know their limits on markets/sports and are can make their own call on a bet (within reason of course).

So I would say that the guy who had a €2k bet refused was an unknown and or the shop had taken a hammering that week and the manager was making a call in the best interests of their shop figures.

I think it’s a joke, bookies are a cash business. Take the bet and stand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I can top all those stories.
    Years ago a bookmaker at The Curragh refused a €20 bet at 20/1 from me.
    He took €10. The horse finished around 8th or 9th.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭MichaelR

Thanks for explaining how they close books. I'm very new to horse racing bets and wanted to place a mere 5 Euro on Saxon Warrior to win the Triple Crown. So I walked into a bookie and the lady said - strange, it's listed at 3/1 but it's closed. She then called HQ, while on the phone she asked how much I wanted to bet, and then she did take the bet at 3/1.

I guess the horse is so popular they closed the book, but then decided it's not worth it to turn away a very obvious rookie?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

MichaelR wrote: »
    Thanks for explaining how they close books. I'm very new to horse racing bets and wanted to place a mere 5 Euro on Saxon Warrior to win the Triple Crown. So I walked into a bookie and the lady said - strange, it's listed at 3/1 but it's closed. She then called HQ, while on the phone she asked how much I wanted to bet, and then she did take the bet at 3/1.

I guess the horse is so popular they closed the book, but then decided it's not worth it to turn away a very obvious rookie?

3/1 for something that has only happened once since 1936, and that was in 1970. Decent of her...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

what about payouts?

I do lotto in pp and last year i matched 4 numbers got €3800

There's 2 pp shops in my town but the one i placed the bet in is closed on sunday so i went into the other one down the town.
    He refused to pay it saying i had to go back to shop i placed bet in
    thought it strange

went in monday to shop i placed it and was paid straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

vickers209 wrote: »
    what about payouts?

There's 2 pp shops in my town but the one i placed the bet in is closed on sunday so i went into the other one down the town.
    thought it strange

Uh oh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

We are going to need to see some screenshots for that :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

kiers47 wrote: »
    We are going to need to see some screenshots for that :pac:

Did someone say screenshots? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

vickers209 wrote: »
    what about payouts?

thought it strange

They might not have had the cash to hand. Nothing nefarious there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 June18zellie

MichaelR wrote: »

Be careful with bets like that,I back dawn approach years ago to win the 2000,the derby and can’t remember the other race but it was the first race and think it was October then The 2000 the following year and the derby just after,anyway won’t the first two and when I went into the bookies just before the derby to confirm the bet I was told if he won the derby they won’t pay out,said u can’t back the same horse to win multiple races like that?i argued the point that they took my €5 bet so it should stand as the winnings would have been 2K but was told it was void and excuse was human error

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Be careful with bets like that,I back dawn approach years ago to win the 2000,the derby and can’t remember the other race but it was the first race and think it was October then The 2000 the following year and the derby just after,anyway won’t the first two and when I went into the bookies just before the derby to confirm the bet I was told if he won the derby they won’t pay out,said u can’t back the same horse to win multiple races like that?i argued the point that they took my €5 bet so it should stand as the winnings would have been 2K but was told it was void and excuse was human error

This is absolutely spot on if you were taking a price on each race. It is a related contingency as the bookies would call it.

If your horse won the first race the odds are going to significantly reduce on the proceeding legs.
    You could have taken the price for the first race and bet SP in the other 2. That would be a valid bet but im not sure anyone would want to do that.
    The bet above is obviously some bookie special as they obviously called up on it.

Advertisement