Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting back Co. Clare next week

Options
  • 09-05-2018 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

After 20 years since I last fished I bought some gear last week and fished Shad at the weekend in Saint Mullins with plenty landed and even more that jumped off.

Anyway I'm heading West next week and going to try some shore fishing, got talking to a sound fella in Saint Mullins who gave me a rig to copy and showed me how to attach to grip lead with release mechanism etc.

He advised fresh mackerel or lug worms as Bait, I'll be based around Doonbeg and will try from the beach there, anyone know any good safe areas for fishing from rocks or pier with maybe spinner or feathers?

https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/993105922322034688

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Can't help you on the rock marks, but lugworm/mackerel is fine for Doonbeg beach. There can be a big surge there so don't set up too close to the water, watch the surf for a while and see how it's behaving before setting up abd be prepared to move your gear quickly. Also, flatties like a moving bait and allowing it to move covers more ground so more chance of encountering a fish - a grip lead stops that. I start with a rolling lead, as light as I can get away with where it's moving but not getting washed back in. If you can't keep your rig out with a 5oz rolling lead I'd look at a pyramid lead next and a grip lead is last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Zzippy wrote: »
    Can't help you on the rock marks, but lugworm/mackerel is fine for Doonbeg beach. There can be a big surge there so don't set up too close to the water, watch the surf for a while and see how it's behaving before setting up abd be prepared to move your gear quickly. Also, flatties like a moving bait and allowing it to move covers more ground so more chance of encountering a fish - a grip lead stops that. I start with a rolling lead, as light as I can get away with where it's moving but not getting washed back in. If you can't keep your rig out with a 5oz rolling lead I'd look at a pyramid lead next and a grip lead is last resort.

God I hate bait rolling about :D But then I dont go lower than 4/0 to avoid that flatties.

ardinn wrote: »
    God I hate bait rolling about :D But then I dont go lower than 4/0 to avoid that flatties.

Ah yeah, but you're lucky enough to have bass where you fish! :P

Speaking of which, OP, the Irish record bass came from Doonbeg ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Ah yeah, but you're lucky enough to have bass where you fish! :P

Speaking of which, OP, the Irish record bass came from Doonbeg ;)

Yep the very beach I am staying 2 minutes away from :)

Picked up some great gear last night from https://slaneyfishing.com/ and some great advice too.

Is it worth trying a float as well as weight on beach in Clare?

Villain wrote: »
    Yep the very beach I am staying 2 minutes away from :)

Picked up some great gear last night from https://slaneyfishing.com/ and some great advice too.

Is it worth trying a float as well as weight on beach in Clare?

I've never float fished a beach, in late summer some people do for mullet and garfish in calm conditions but it might be a bit early for that. In my experience there is usually far too much surf on Doonbeg to consider float fishing anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I've never float fished a beach, in late summer some people do for mullet and garfish in calm conditions but it might be a bit early for that. In my experience there is usually far too much surf on Doonbeg to consider float fishing anyway.

Ah makes sense thanks. Any general basic advice for pier fishing and any recommendations around South West Clare?

Villain wrote: »
    Ah makes sense thanks. Any general basic advice for pier fishing and any recommendations around South West Clare?

Sorry, not my area so no idea on where to go. If you can get some ragworm dropping a one hook leger rig down off the side of a pier with a small bit of rag will catch different species of wrasse, and if you go with small hooks you can catch a variety of mini species. No good if you're looking to get fish to eat, but great fun and brilliant if you have kids.

Advertisement