Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Oven and Switch

Options
  • 09-05-2018 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi folks.
    I'm doing up my kitchen and replacing my current oven as well as getting a new wall switch.
    I'm trying to get a switch that will fit in with the new colour scheme but hitting a bit of a stumbling block.
    My amateur googling seems to indicate that the switch that is currently on the wall is a 50a switch.

Most new switches or switches with different colours seem to be a 45a switch and not the "flicky up" switch that I currently have. There's very little variety in the 50a ones that I can find

My question is as follows- can I get a 45a switch and use it with the oven that is there or do I have to get one of those 50a ones? The oven that is currently there replaced an older one so the switch is there a while.

Apologies if the question is basic or doesnt make sense but I'm no expert!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

So you need to provide more details as to what size the new oven will be, what wattage i.e. 10kw or more. Are you installing a separate oven and hob? Again the power ratings are required. But mainly to ascertain whether the current cable supplying the cooker is sufficient in size. You can get plenty of 50A switches, just limited in color and shape.
    What size is the MCB or fuse protecting the cabling in the CCU?

Realistic you may need an electrician, especially if the cable isn't of sufficient size and it may not be.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Look at the distribution board (fuse board). Determine what sized MCB supplies the oven at present. Let’s say the MCB is rated at 40A, in this case a switch rated for 40A or more would be suitable. Most likely your oven has a 32 or 40A MCB, in which case you would be ok with a 45A switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 squidgee

Thanks for getting back to me.
    Think I'll have to get an electrician to double check it all. Have one of the old fuse boards and my knowledge is limited enough so better off playing it safe.
    Haven't picked out the new cooker yet but it will all be one unit. Retiled and painted the kitchen so getting new fittings for plugs and switches- hence my query about the switch. i obviously want all fittings to match so will have to figure out what cooker switch I need first and go from there.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

squidgee wrote: »
    Thanks for getting back to me.
    Think I'll have to get an electrician to double check it all.

Good call.

Advertisement