Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Draining a very wet field

Options
  • 09-05-2018 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

First time farmer here, learning as I go!

We have a few very wet, boggy fields. Even in summer they get saturated after a good rain. Previously the fields were cleared and have decent growth, but quite a few rushes which you would expect. When they were cleared a few ditches were also put in - so presumably the drainage could be worse without them!

Is tiling a thing in Ireland? In the US where I come from with a very wet field the farmer would tile it, adding big pipes beneath the ground to drain the water away.

End goal is to reclaim some of this field for a site to build but given its current state there is no way we would get a septic system in with the lack of percolation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

grayh0und wrote: »
    First time farmer here, learning as I go!

We have a few very wet, boggy fields. Even in summer they get saturated after a good rain. Previously the fields were cleared and have decent growth, but quite a few rushes which you would expect. When they were cleared a few ditches were also put in - so presumably the drainage could be worse without them!

Is tiling a thing in Ireland? In the US where I come from with a very wet field the farmer would tile it, adding big pipes beneath the ground to drain the water away.

End goal is to reclaim some of this field for a site to build but given its current state there is no way we would get a septic system in with the lack of percolation.

A French drain system perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

So much depends on the soil type, gradients of the land, and where the water is going to go.

Also, you would get more replies in the Farming section, rather than Forestry.

Advertisement