Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

communion and ‘gift’ money amount

Options
  • 08-05-2018 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I have been invited to my 1st cousins communion this weekend.

All the family are invited to their home after they attend the mass for food and socializing etc.

My cousin is seven years old and I’m stumped as to how much money (if money at all) to give him for his first holy communion.

I knows it’s turned into a money racket nowadays but what would be an acceptable amount to give him?

Do people give €20,30,40,50 more ?

What would you give you first cousin?

For any relevance I don’t see this cousin at all except for family events so I’m not ‘close’ but I want to show my face and give him something.

MOD; please move category if required , couldn’t find a suitable location

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I gave my cousin €20, May have done €25 if I had had a fiver... I know my parents gave €50 as it was their niece

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Jimmy Dags

€100 minimum, I’d be embarrassed giving 20/25 in a card. The boom is back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I give €20 for Communion. It’s plenty, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

My Godsons is coming up. He'll be getting €50.
    Think €20 is fine in your case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

I agree, 50 for my goddaughter and 20 for the rest. It's plenty of money for a kid that age.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

€20 is plenty, in this instance, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

would you not buy him a rolex?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

€20 Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

ec18 wrote: »
    would you not buy him a rolex?

A lot of them are faked now. Op should go for a Tag or an Audemars Pigueut.

On the serious side, 50 to 100 should do it. It's a big day for the child. 100 quid is less than 2 euro a week if you break it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Jimmy Dags wrote: »
    €100 minimum, I’d be embarrassed giving 20/25 in a card. The boom is back.

100 quid? Wow your cheap. I don't k ow how you could show your face around your family with thwt "gift" if you could call it that.

You'd at least give the deeds for a small 2 bed somewhere on the east side as an Investment in thier future.

That's the real boom is back baby!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Absolutely 20 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

My son made his recently, he got mostly €20s, some €10s also! Some bigger notes from closer relatives. He only got money from one cousin, €2 from his favorite cousin who is only seven! €20 is plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

€20 Is fine , our lad got his recently and the norm was €20 ...€50 from god parents and €100 from both sets of grandparents who spoil the grandchildren in general.
    He got a few €10 from some friends and neighbors which was a bonus he wasn’t expecting..

Godsons communion coming up, he will get a book of prayers & a rosary beads from me.
    If they want to be religious, then I will treat their religion seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I gave my godson €30 for his communion and €50 for his confirmation. His siblings got a little less as not a godchild.

For a cousin that you're not close to, I'd say €20 is fine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod note: Hi OP, while I get why you posted this in the weddings forum, it really isn’t the right place for it. I’m a bit stumped as to where would be best, so I’m moving it to the Christianity forum, seeing as it’s a religious event. I hope that’s okay, and apologies to the mods of the Christianity forum if it’s not appropriate.

All posters please note that the Christianity charter is now in effect.

Surely to goodness this thread is a wind up. It’s NOT about money. It’s about receiving the body of Christ for the first time. If the family wish to celebrate this milestone, that’s up to them. Gifts of money should not be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Surely to goodness this thread is a wind up. It’s NOT about money. It’s about receiving the body of Christ for the first time. If the family wish to celebrate this milestone, that’s up to them. Gifts of money should not be expected.

It’s about marking the occasion with a gift, the same as we do with all the sacraments. It’s nice to make the kid feel special on his big day.
    Money of course is not expected but friends and relations like to give a gift..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

The main point of the day for all the kids is getting that sweet sweet cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Ifonlyicould

A nice pair of rosary beads would do the job grand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Completely agree.

Think about it, if it was about money, surely one should get money gifts from ones family when they lose their virginity. You are receiving someones body for the first time too in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

A nice pair of rosary beads would do the job grand

That’s a bit tight. Would you not get them a full set?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Ah come on - the OP came on asking genuinely what would be an ok amount to give "if at all". There is a celebration and I don't know any child that doesn't get some form of gift from relatives to mark it. The OP is just looking for advice on an amount to give as maybe they don't know the child well enough to pick a present.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think €20 as it’s first cousin, beyond that €10

Advertisement