Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mis-sold car insurance

Options
  • 08-05-2018 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hello.

Looking for some advise if anyone can help.
    I recently renewed my car insurance after much grief.Apparently my job as a van driver effects my private car insurance.

Basically, i renewed my insurance on my car.third party only with a company. i stated i wanted driving of other cars included on my policy and was told it was.
    I received my documents and discovered it wasnt included.
    I contacted the company and they told me because of my occupation they can not provide driving of other vehicles.
    The company has admitted it was there error but cannot provide the cover i have paid for.
    I feel i have been mis sold cover and will be filing a complaint with company.

Basically can anyone provide me with any advise or has anyone else find themselves in a similar situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

In the documentation they sent you, is there any mention of a cooling-off period? When it's the first year of a policy, there may be an option to send back the cert and disc within a certain number of days, make a declaration that there will be no claim and they will refund the premium.

For example, this is from Axa's terms of business......

Cooling Off Period

If you cancel within the first 14 days after receiving the policy documents within the first year of insurance, we will refund
    your full premium, providing no claims have been made on your policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I was told I'd have cover to drive other cars when I took out my policy but I rang the broker and they said Liberty wouldn't give me cover to drive other cars because I work in a main dealer. Their excuse was that if I crash a garage or customers car during work hours the person can claim off my private insurance even tho I'm on trade insurance during work hours

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Iansheridan18

EPAndlee wrote: »
    I was told I'd have cover to drive other cars when I took out my policy but I rang the broker and they said Liberty wouldn't give me cover to drive other cars because I work in a main dealer. Their excuse was that if I crash a garage or customers car during work hours the person can claim off my private insurance even tho I'm on trade insurance during work hours

Technically they're right, the insurer could subrogate half the claim from your private car insurance policy

insurers do this all the time, if you crash your own car and you're named on your wife's, they will go after your wife's car for half the claim.

Are you a mechanic or sales out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

What class of policy does OP have ?

Generally, does a DOC extension exist on non-private (e.g. commercial motor policies) insurance ?

Does a DOC extension have limitations on the scope of use ?

If OP is employed by a garage should his driving of garage or customer vehicles not be insured under a motor traders' policy or is this another case of employers trying to shift burdens on to employees in order to save money ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

EPAndlee wrote: »

An employee working for a service centre or a dealer could get a letter of indemnity from his employer's insurance to state that they (the employer's insurance company) will not pursue the employee's personal policy in the event of a claim arising from an accident involving him driving a car that's in for a repair/service.

However there is nothing to stop the car's owner's insurance from pursuing the mechanic's personal policy for part of a claim and therein lies the problem.

The general principal is that if you are covered under multiple policies, no one insurance company will foot the bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

insurers do this all the time, if you crash your own car and you're named on your wife's, they will go after your wife's car for half the claim.
    ?
    Is this definitely true? I’ve never heard of this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Iansheridan18

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is this definitely true? I’ve never heard of this before.

I've seen it happen a good few times. Dont agree with it personally but what can you do

Advertisement