Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identity theft - advice

Options
  • 08-05-2018 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi all,

Recently my phone got stolen abroad, it had a picture of my passport, drivers licence and a number of other items with my address etc on it. (silly having them all on a phone, but with recently moving house etc these were all required before going on the holiday).

Maybe the phone will just be wiped. However, assuming worst case and whoever stole the phone will use them maliciously, what would one do to protect themselves?

I have:

- Cancelled the phone and changed passwords on all logged in accounts.
    - Reported the phone stolen in the local police station before returning home.
    - When home, Gardai didn't think reporting "images" stolen was a crime so I didn't proceed further - I thought simply reporting it would at least have something on record if there was a dispute in the future.

Anything else from an identity theft point of view? Or would people forget about it assuming it wouldnt be an issue? Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If it's an iPhone, you should be able to delete the images remotely.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wopp

Victor wrote: »
    If it's an iPhone, you should be able to delete the images remotely.

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I cannot remotely access. It's an android and has not come back "online" since it was stolen. I believe the google account has to be logged in with signal to be in anyway functional.

Wish these protection tools were hard rooted, so you can lock down even after factory resetting!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Consider explaining the issue to the passport people, and looking into having the passport marked lost/stolen with a view to getting it replaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

The phone most likely was hard reset and sold within minutes. Wouldn’t worry about it too much tbh.

Advertisement