Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Folder sharing (Network) Elementary O/S

Options
  • 08-05-2018 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

Hi I need some help, Ive moved over from Mint to Elementary and im enjoying the experience a lot, but ive got one big problem....How do I share folders with in my home network?
    Ive looked around the internet and installed samba and SHH, but I cannot seem to make head or tails of it. I cant even connect to my window shares which should be so easy.
    All my own laptops are dual boot (Elementary and win 10), so even if i could share folders just between my elementary machines that would be a start.
    I think i am overlooking something very simple.
    This seems to be 1 plus point about windows, the network sharing of folders and drives seems simple and work how it should, But Elementary is a complete kettle of fish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Spanishpoint

Hi you could try NFS for file sharing over the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I cant even connect to my window shares which should be so easy.

Is Win10 now, by default, blocking connections using SMB1?

If so this might explain the inability to access Win SAMBA shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I can access window shares on other window machines and also android devices

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

did you get this sorted yet snaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

If you haven't did you look at this article, it seems comprehensive enough:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/176471/how-to-share-files-between-windows-and-linux/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Yes the latest update on windows is blocking SMB1 shares. It has to be switched on via windows features and checking the boxes for SMB1. But it hasn't solved my Elementary problem.

Advertisement