Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the fuse?

Options
  • 08-05-2018 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi

Apologies for a daft question. The oven tripped as it was switched on. There is no apparent fuse in the socket.

When I looked in the fuse box (no 13) the switch was down, but where is the fuse? How do I access it?

Any advice appreciated. Appliance repairer called but we know that could be a few days, hob and oven O/O/O.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Hi

Apologies for a daft question. The oven tripped as it was switched on. There is no apparent fuse in the socket.

When I looked in the fuse box (no 13) the switch was down, but where is the fuse? How do I access it?

There isn't one! Are you sure that the appliance is faulty?

Perhaps you overloaded the circuit; were any hobs on when you turned the oven on?

Can you isolate the problem between hob and oven?

Reset the trip and turn on each cooking ring in turn. Then two on, then three and four.

Then with no hob rings on, try oven only.

Then, if all is well, try oven plus hobs one at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Turn off the oven at the kitchen. You should see a red switch near the oven. This is the on/off switch or isolator switch for the oven. Push it up to turn it off.

Now go to the "fuse board". There are no fuses on modern electrical consumer units. Trip switches are used instead of fuses for all the circuits in a house.

Lights are usually 10a, sockets are usually 20a and cookers are usually 32a.

Push the down switch ( no 13) up until it clicks into place in the up position.

Now go back to your cooker and switch on the red isolator switch. This should work. Now switch on each of your cookers heating elements etc. one by one.

When the trip switch (no 13) trips you have found your faulty element.

It is possible that the hob, grill and other cooker parts will work but the part that caused the trip will fail and should not be used until seen to by an appliance repair person.

It might also be that the fault was a one off occurrence or transient fault known as a nuisance trip.

Newer trip switches, known as RCBO's need to be pushed down until a click is heard and then up until another click is heard. When they trip they trip to a centre position. You need to switch off every suspect device or pull out every appliance before resetting the trip switch. Jug Kettles are notorious for tripping socket circuits as are badly handled hairdryers, hair straighteners etc.

During daylight hours when the house is quiet it is a good idea to list all the circuits, lights and appliances protected by each trip switch, this should be done by the installing electrician at the time the house was built or rewired but can be defaced or rubbed out or fade over time. Plug a noise source into each socket and turn off each trip in turn to find out which socket is connected to each trip switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 bramblecorner

Hi

Thank you both for your swift response.

I attach a picture of the switch what you can't see and it has done this since the house was built 12 odd hrs ago ... Is that the light 'wobbles'.

I did reset everything early this morning, switched the oven on a off it popped. Tried again, switching each hob ring and oven on as advised, and it's stayed on. Hopefully appliance man will call soon! I will leave the main switch down and see what happens.

The electrician put a list up ... For the wrong property and never came back to sort. So yes I need to slowly work through what's what!

I didn't realise that there wasn't actually any fuses these days!

Thanks again, much appreciated. Off to buy camping stove to feed the animals when they get back from school ðŸ˜.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

There is a type of fuse called an MCB, it's located in your fuse board panel rather than in the isolator switch that you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Cerco

If your mcb trips each time you turn oven on, after resetting mcb, then, most likely, your oven is faulty. Wait for the appliance repair person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 bramblecorner

Cerco wrote: »
    If your mcb trips each time you turn oven on, after resetting mcb, then, most likely, your oven is faulty. Wait for the appliance repair person.

Thanks again for responses. It is actually ok at the moment, appliance repair man couldn't fault so it's a waiting game.

Thanks again ... So very appreciated

Advertisement