Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kawasaki KL 600 Eliminator running problems

Options
  • 07-05-2018 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

I have a 1995 Kawasaki ZL 600 Eliminator, it starts OK, then runs for about 2 minutes at which point the RPM increases fast then it cuts out and will not restart.. I have to wait 15 to 20 minutes and then it starts again with the same problem.

Any ideas?..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Zebbedee

Sounds like fuel starvation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Take the fuel hose off the carb and feed it into a jar, open the fuel tap and see how much fuel flows into the jar, if the gauze on the fuel tap is blocked up it may restrict flow to a dribble, which will fill the carb bowl over a long time but not fast enough to run the engine continuously.
    If the flow is OK then you need to check the carb for cleanliness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

I took the fuel tank off to start cleaning the fuel tap and I noticed one of the inner spark plug leads was loose, pushed it down securely, fitted the fuel tank and the bike started fine and ran without cutting out...

only thing is now, on tickover, when I roll the throttle and increase the revs to 5000 rpm, then roll off, it takes a couple of seconds for the revs to fall to tickover..

any ideas there?

Sticky throttle cables?
    Does the throttle snap back when you turn it and release it? Engine doesn't need to be running to check this.
    If its slow then you need to check the cables and lube/replace them
    Also check cable routing is OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Sticky throttle cables?
    Does the throttle snap back when you turn it and release it? Engine doesn't need to be running to check this.
    If its slow then you need to check the cables and lube/replace them
    Also check cable routing is OK.
    Yes, the throttle snaps back as it should...

• Advertisement

Check for air leaks around the carb boots, make sure they are all sealed correctly use WD40 sprayed around that area to check.

Is the fuel tap vacuum operated? If it is then check the diaphragm is still good.

Have you synch'ed the carbs?
    The problem with unsynchronised carbs is that the carbs that are doing the work of pulling the engine up to idle speed move into a different jetting zone where another fuel circuit has taken over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

It could still be the dodgy plug you found causing this. Is the rubber around it damaged? Plug could be bad.

Advertisement