Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lambing Month and Selling Month.

Options
  • 07-05-2018 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

At what stage of the year do people lamb, ewes and then sell their lambs ?

I'm Lambing late this year. Lambing right now in May, and intend to sell my lambs as finished lambs (50KG) in Febuary/March 2019.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

We lambed Feb and March and will have 42-45kg lambs ready to sell in August at the latest. Going to wait til mid-March next year and compare margins, work load, mortality, etc. between the years.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Lamb early March here hope to factory the start of them in June,sold 12 lambs born this feb though 30kg €102 in the mart

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Feb/march lambing. Hope to sell a handful next week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

lambing from 20th Jan onwards finishing with ewe lambs first week april

some ppl would shudder at such long lambing season but we find long side dairying it suits our system best

Third batch of springs going this week ,

all sold to butchers so far this year,

Feb/march lambing. Hope to sell a handful next week

What weight would that handful be?

• Advertisement

What weight would that handful be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭DJ98

That's a great growth rate, what breed are they?

DJ98 wrote: »

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057686734/55/#post106819607
    Youve a bad memory :D

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057686734/55/#post106819607
    Youve a bad memory :D

Sorry - can’t see that thread.

Would I be right in saying they’ve gained close to 400g per day if they were 5kg at birth and born 90 days ago in mid-Feb?

Sorry - can’t see that thread.

Would I be right in saying they’ve gained close to 400g per day if they were 5kg at birth and born 90 days ago in mid-Feb?

500g/day is best ive seen in any lamb...so 400-450 sounds right

• Advertisement

500g/day is best ive seen in any lamb...so 400-450 sounds right

No doubt I'm missing something here (and apologies again for not being able to see the info at the link you shared), but what kind of ewes do you have? I'm assuming you use a Charolais ram.

No doubt I'm missing something here (and apologies again for not being able to see the info at the link you shared), but what kind of ewes do you have? I'm assuming you use a Charolais ram.

Charollais ,texel and suffolk rams.
    Suffolk and texel ewes.
    On an individual basis,the texel will teach tje highest weight first but the charollais will have all the lambs gone quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OneMan37

Suffolk and texel ewes.
    On an individual basis,the texel will teach tje highest weight first but the charollais will have all the lambs gone quicker

How will Charollais have all their lambs gone quicker ? Do you move the Charollais lambs on at a lower weight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭DJ98

Suffolk and texel ewes.

Do you creep feed?

Do you creep feed?

Ya. 50 kg to 160 lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

OneMan37 wrote: »
    Suffolk and texel ewes.

How will Charollais have all their lambs gone quicker ? Do you move the Charollais lambs on at a lower weight ?
    I think he means the charollais is more consistent and that all the charollais lambs will be gone and he’ll have texals and Suffolk’s left at the end. Which I will 100% agree with also.

Advertisement