Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courtesy car limbo

Options
  • 07-05-2018 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi there,

Someone drove into my car, which was parked legally, on Wednesday of last week as well as 2 other cars. He went on a bit of a rampage. So the Garda were there etc. and said all looked straight forward from a liability perspective etc.

So my insurance company, alliance, same as his, say I'm not eligible for a coutesy car on my own policy till my car is deemed repairable nor on his policy till he admits liability. So they booked an assessor who is coming on Wednesday and the report usually takes 2 days for delivery. So I'm looking at Friday as the earliest before I can get a car on my policy. The offender has gone to ground so I assume there will be no open admission of liability allowing me to claim off his.

So I'm stuck for another 5 days minimum without a car for work and with a family to transport here and there, we don't have a 2nd car. If I hire, they won't guarantee payment. Does this sound right? I pay fully comp and thought they would have looked after me but said, "your situation is unfortunate"! However, I'd have thought my situation sounds like a very common scenario.

Any thoughts?

My broker is AA but they passed me over the fence to alliance for everything once we got into claims territory.

Any advice appreciated.

Regards
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jim_bop

FYI

Out the other side now and here is what I found:

To get a courtesy asap, have your vehicle towed to a repairer straight away, approved repairer is as handy. Here the damage will be assessed as to whether it's repairable or write-off or beyond economical repair (BER). If the vehicle is deemed repairable then you can sort out a courtesy car as soon as the estimate is agreed. My insurance didn't cover me for a courtesy car in the event of a write-off or BER.

One thing I came across while initially claiming off my own insurance, my insurance company will be recovering of the third party once liability is confirmed, was that my policy only covered me for a class A courtesy car which was too small to fit our rear facing bulky child seats. After many calls, my insurance company wouldn't budge, however, I established that I could rent my own vehicle and claim off the third-party as part of the recovery. There was no guarantee this would be paid but most lightly it would.

In the end, the approved repairer gave us one of their own cars to get around the problem. They even dropped it out to the house which was great.

Advertisement