Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water cylinder not filling completely

Options
  • 06-05-2018 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey Guys,

I live in a bungalow with a vented indirect water cylinder (and a tank above the the attic).

For some weird reason the hot water cylinder is only filling to about 70%, once at this level it sits happily (even if i uncap one of the ports on top of the cylinder).

Anyone any ideas on why this would happen?

Note: There is a 3/4 pipe coming from the tank to the lower entry point on the cylinder (this same pipe also branches to feed a toilet and sink in the bathroom. There is a pipe coming from the top of the cylinder which seems to be a vent and supply for the hot water.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I presume that you are not getting any hot water in the taps?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 clarej5

K.Flyer wrote: »
    I presume that you are not getting any hot water in the taps?

You are correct, the outlet for the hot water feed is at the top of the tank. Hot water taps have not worked since I moved in.

Is the water tank in the attic full of water?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 clarej5

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Is the water tank in the attic full of water?

Haha 😂, gimme some credit.

The attic tank is full, I also double checked there an any valves are in an open position. I was thinking I should maybe close the valve and drain the tank. See if it refills to the same level. Least that will rule out a blockage.

We need to rule out the obvious things first.
    Can you post a picture of the plug you have taken out?
    Edit:
    Ive just seen your post total is too low to allow pictures or links.
    Take a picture, upload it to a host site, e.g. imgur,
    and link to it here with the word "dot" instead of the . , e.g. dot com instead of .com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭John.G

clarej5 wrote: »
    Haha ��, gimme some credit.

The attic tank is full, I also double checked there an any valves are in an open position. I was thinking I should maybe close the valve and drain the tank. See if it refills to the same level. Least that will rule out a blockage.

Make sure before doing the above that there isnt a separate supply to the cylinder which is the more normal set up, ie, one supply from the header tank to the bathroom/toilet and the other to your cylinder. Sometimes there is a additional isolating valve close to the cylinder.

Advertisement