Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

suunto to replace Garmin Fenix3

Options
  • 04-05-2018 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I've been using the Fenix3 with HRM for years but I think its time to change.
    I run country roads mainly and the odd trail/XC - also track intervals - race 10mile up to marathon.
    I'm thinking of changing to a Suunto Spartan for a change but don't know anybody who has one to check them out.
    Anyone here use on and what do you think? Is the display similar in terms of ease of viewing as the Fenix? I've quite poor eyesight and I setup the Fenix as multiple screens with a single field on each - is this possible on the Suunto? Is the vibration/tones easy to hear?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 limerickrunner

nobody?

nobody?

??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Hi OP,

I don't have a Sunnto Spartan or know anyone who has one, but DC Rainmaker's review might be able to answer some of your questions
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/05/suunto-spartan-sport-wrist-hr-review.html

If price wasn't an issue, you could go for the Fenix 5 to replace your Fenix 3

• Registered Users Posts: 19,501 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Any particular reason you would go for the Suunto? Doesn't seem to offer anything beyond the Fenix 3 HR?

Any particular reason you would go for the Suunto? Doesn't seem to offer anything beyond the Fenix 3 HR?

my wrists are very small and on long distances/marathons I'm finding the Fenix3 very heavy. Did Limerick marathon Sunday and felt it badly - now it was quite warm finishing but I felt it heavy
    I have poor eyesight and have to set the Fenix up single field and multiple screens - AFAIK the spartan doesn't allow this - minimum of 3 fields per screen
    I was looking at an Ambit3 Peak at the startling line and guy was saying its great for hills/trails but very fiddly to use and although it can display a single field the font is small

So I think I'll keep my Fenix3 for now but wouldn't mind one that had large fonts.

thanks and if you ran Limerick well done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,501 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

my wrists are very small and on long distances/marathons I'm finding the Fenix3 very heavy. Did Limerick marathon Sunday and felt it badly - now it was quite warm finishing but I felt it heavy
    I have poor eyesight and have to set the Fenix up single field and multiple screens - AFAIK the spartan doesn't allow this - minimum of 3 fields per screen
    I was looking at an Ambit3 Peak at the startling line and guy was saying its great for hills/trails but very fiddly to use and although it can display a single field the font is small
    That makes a little more sense. There are definitely alternative options if the goal is size, weight and data field configuration. A couple of options (with links to DC Rainmakers reviews):
    Forerunner 645: 42g
    Forerunner 735: 40g.
    Forerunner 935: 49g

Should be able to get a softer more flexible strap for all these models (to help with wrist fit). Should be true of your current Fenix 3 also (like this one). The 735 would certainly be the cheapest of the three. All would be similar enough to the Fenix 3 in terms of functionality (but a lot lighter).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

That makes a little more sense. There are definitely alternative options if the goal is size, weight and data field configuration. A couple of options (with links to DC Rainmakers reviews):

Should be able to get a softer more flexible strap for all these models (to help with wrist fit). Should be true of your current Fenix 3 also (like this one). The 735 would certainly be the cheapest of the three. All would be similar enough to the Fenix 3 in terms of functionality (but a lot lighter).

OP I have the 735XT and can't even feel it on my wrist, it's extremely light and comfortable - The two field view shows the text nice and big, 3 is a bit smaller but still readable I think (my eyesight's not great either!).

Should be able to get a softer more flexible strap for all these models (to help with wrist fit). Should be true of your current Fenix 3 also (like this one). The 735 would certainly be the cheapest of the three. All would be similar
    Thanks enough to the Fenix 3 in terms of functionality (but a lot lighter).
    Thanks for all the information and links. I never saw that site before and sure he could do great reviews of runners too
    I’m liking the 735 or 935 but 935 is very expensive. Had a look at warehouse deals in Amazon and plenty of 735 available.
    I’m certainly going to change straps thoug as Fenix 3 one is mighty hefty. It’s tge last thing one needs. I remember 25 years ago training with ankle weights doing hill repeats: the Fenix 3 reminded me about 22 miles into marathon Sunday.

Thanks again and say hi if you ever see me about

Advertisement