Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of laying a floor

Options
  • 04-05-2018 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to put herringbone flooring (solid wood) down on my floors and have been quoted 40 euro per square metre which seems like a lot. I know it's trickier to lay than standard flooring but it still seems quite expensive. Has anybody else received a similar quote?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Daisy78 wrote: »
    I'm looking to put herringbone flooring (solid wood) down on my floors and have been quoted 40 euro per square metre which seems like a lot. I know it's trickier to lay than standard flooring but it still seems quite expensive. Has anybody else received a similar quote?

Ya, that's on the low side of quotes we got to put down engineered floors in herringbone.
    Decided to stick with long planks instead. Couldn't justify price for 2 rooms covering 30sqm.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭tenbob1

"Trickier", could be a word to use, but really it's chalk and cheese. Herringbone wood flooring is very labour intensive and its very very easy to make a mistake. Going with the cheapest quote on a floor like this, IMO would be a mistake.

Its worth looking at Amtico "Spacia", the overall costs are usually way less by the time you take into account labour charges. Alternatively you could change to a standard floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Ya, that's on the low side of quotes we got to put down engineered floors in herringbone.
    Decided to stick with long planks instead. Couldn't justify price for 2 rooms covering 30sqm.

Good decision. Herringbone will be gone out of fashion again soon enough :)
    Personally not a fan myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

jmBuildExt wrote: »

I know. Twas herself that wanted it anyway :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Daisy78

I wasn't asking whether people liked it or not??! That's your opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Herringbone flooring is around long enough to be more than a fashion

tenbob1 wrote: »
    Its worth looking at Amtico "Spacia", the overall costs are usually way less by the time you take into account labour charges. Alternatively you could change to a standard floor.

Thanks for this! That range is lovely, though no prices on their website! Any idea how much it costs per square metre?

Daisy78 wrote: »

Thanks for this! That range is lovely, though no prices on their website! Any idea how much it costs per square metre?

Oh okay I should have researched this a bit more! Vinyl tiles :) Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭tenbob1

It is lovely down though Daisy, not your run of the mill vinyl. Depending on where you buy it, final cost should run at ~€85-100 per m2, including installation and floor preparation.

It is lovely down though Daisy, not your run of the mill vinyl. Depending on where you buy it, final cost should run at ~€85-100 per m2, including installation and floor preparation.

It looks lovely but prefer the feel of real wood. I wanted to get an idea of the installation just osts, it seemed high to me but it looks to be the going rate alright.

• Advertisement
Advertisement