Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two cars - insured to drive TPFT on any car

Options
  • 04-05-2018 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I own 2 cars and am paying €580 and €690 for full comp on each (with different companies), lets call them Ford & Kia. I note on both policies in section 5 I am insured to drive ANY car with owners consent (third party F&T). It doesn't state that the owner has to have insurance. Now I am wondering if I "sell" my Kia to my wife and she consents to me driving it then I automatically have third party F&T. (BTW, my wife doesn't drive and has no insurance; but in any event I could sell it to a son, or anyone I know really). The only issue I see is there will be no valid insurance disc for the Kia, however, I can always have a copy of my Fords insurance policy in the Kia so, if stopped by Garda, I can show that I am insured.
    I have noticed in the past people saying the Kia needs to be insured but section 5 in my policies do not state this - only requires me to have the owners consent. Has this been tested or used? Would welcome any feedback or comments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

TerryOC wrote: »
    I own 2 cars and am paying €580 and €690 for full comp on each (with different companies), lets call them Ford & Kia. I note on both policies in section 5 I am insured to drive ANY car with owners consent (third party F&T). It doesn't state that the owner has to have insurance. Now I am wondering if I "sell" my Kia to my wife and she consents to me driving it then I automatically have third party F&T. (BTW, my wife doesn't drive and has no insurance; but in any event I could sell it to a son, or anyone I know really). The only issue I see is there will be no valid insurance disc for the Kia, however, I can always have a copy of my Fords insurance policy in the Kia so, if stopped by Garda, I can show that I am insured.
    I have noticed in the past people saying the Kia needs to be insured but section 5 in my policies do not state this - only requires me to have the owners consent. Has this been tested or used? Would welcome any feedback or comments.

Yes, plenty of people do that.

Only possible issue is that if you sell your Kia to your wife, it still might be considered yours by some insurers.
    If you however sell it to family member, or someone else, then there should be no problem whatsoever.

In the old days, I used to have my car insured in my name and my wife added as named driver. And we had another car - registered in my wife's name. It wasn't insured, but I was driving it under my "driving other cars extension", at times when my wife was driving my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 TerryOC

Thanks CiniO. That's good news - also bad news in that I could have saved myself €690 if I moved on this a couple of months ago. Actually, just wondered how do I tax the car? The tax process asks for the insurance policy number, expiryt etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

I do this - gave my old car to my brother, but he doesn't drive. I made sure I checked and triple checked with the insurance Co that this was ok.

Taxing is easy - enter any random number for your Ins policy, it doesn't mean a thing.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Aviva insist that there is a policy in force for the 'borrowed' car, whether it covers you to drive it or not. Nobody else currently has this condition.

Note that some companies also exclude cover for a 'borrowed' car owned by a member of your family or household. And in a lot of cases, you must be only an 'occasional' user of the car. Expecting your insurance to accept this when there is no current policy in force on the car and it's owned by your (non-driving) wife could be a challenge in the event of a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Anytime the car is parked in a public road, you will be exposed to a no insurance penalty. Depending on where you live, this may be irrelevant.

• Advertisement

Marcusm wrote: »
    Anytime the car is parked in a public road, you will be exposed to a no insurance penalty. Depending on where you live, this may be irrelevant.

+1 only park it in shopping centres or pay car parks, anywhere except a public street where a traffic warden could slap you with a ticket for non-display of an insurance disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 only park it in shopping centres or pay car parks, anywhere except a public street where a traffic warden could slap you with a ticket for non-display of an insurance disc.

Afaik traffic wardens only check for tax disc displayed. Insurance and nct are the guards baliwick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Anyone can list insurers/online brokers that are supporting dual car insurance ?

My situation is that I am sole driver in my family, I have 9 years NCB for my first car that is 17 years old - current insurance for this car is due a renewal end of month; but I am getting now a 3 year old car for which I need insurance too.

Plans for original car are that it could stay off road for indeterminate, but I can see it being possibly being used occasionally.

So I am trying to find out if there are insurers that can give me a quote for my new car + the old car as classic - could I get anywhere good with this approach ?
    Or should I just scrap my old car and forget about it ...

Suggestions more than welcome. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

Liberty have changed this policy now. Change to terms and conditions state that the car you're driving under 3rd party must have a valid insurance policy out on it.

A lot of young lads are very annoyed as its how they managed to drive their weekend cars.

EIREDriver wrote: »
    Liberty have changed this policy now. Change to terms and conditions state that the car you're driving under 3rd party must have a valid insurance policy out on it.

A lot of young lads are very annoyed as its how they managed to drive their weekend cars.

So, so far we have Aviva and liberty.
    Who's next?

Luckily still plenty of insurers don't have that condition.

• Advertisement

CiniO wrote: »
    Who's next?

'Luckily' doesn't apply to the vast majority of drivers who have a policy on the car they drive. That scam is costing the rest of us money because of a sham arrangement whereby a car that is (in all but name) the property of the driver is 'borrowed' from the nominal owner and is being driven with no policy on it.

The condition for cover under 'Driving other Cars' which Liberty have recently added stipulates the following....
    • there is a current insurance policy in place in another person’s name that covers the other car;

Which means that Aviva and Liberty have now closed this loophole.

'Luckily' doesn't apply to the vast majority of drivers who have a policy on the car they drive. That scam is costing the rest of us money because of a sham arrangement whereby a car that is (in all but name) the property of the driver is 'borrowed' from the nominal owner and is being driven with no policy on it.

The condition for cover under 'Driving other Cars' which Liberty have recently added stipulates the following....
    • there is a current insurance policy in place in another person’s name that covers the other car;

And how is this costing "rest of us" money ?

Insurers are sucking all the money from us they possibly can, and no amount of scams, loopholes, claims, or other stuff makes no difference to it.

The more we scam them, the less they gain - so in any way I'm for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

CiniO wrote: »
    Who's next?

So, I'm guessing many other insurers will follow suit. Liberty were probably one of the cheapest insurers that allowed this so it's a blow to people who exploited this loop hole.

If they allowed mirrored no claims (why on earth this isn't standard is beyond me) or better again allowed two cars to be easily (and relatively cheaply) insured under one policy then these loopholes would not be needed.

It's an idiotic system that is driving people to find ways around it, closing the loop hole just makes it very very expensive or impossible for normal people to do a very simple, straight forward and legitimate thing - own and drive more than one car.

Meanwhile we are being robbed left right and centre by gangster insurance companies and still people support them, the mind boggles :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Stinkers

Hi All, I have checked my insurance policy with Aviva tonight and it states in section 5 that "the insured can drive other cars as long as they are not the property of the insured and must have the consent of the owner of the other car" It does not state anything about the car been an insured car with a disc. I am using this car every so often as it belongs to my father in law who no longer drives so we let his insurance lapse. The car is taxed and NCT'd. Am I insured to drive or is this a grey area? I was always cautious as its not an actual insured vehicle. Any advice people?

Ring Aviva is the correct answer I'm afraid.

Nate

I think you are right but as you know, unless its in writing its not worth the call.

Ring Aviva is the correct answer I'm afraid.

Nate

What's in the most up to date policy document and on the insurance cert is the correct answer. Ringing a company and them telling you something is worthless.

Fair enough. Stinkers has read the documentation already and is still asking questions. What is the harm, in asking Aviva for clarity?

Nate

Thanks nate. I do have it on the policy cert. I’m just so dubious about driving it. It seems like it the car has no insurance and I can just drive it under mine. I was going to take a new insurance on it but it will cost 500. Just for sake getting a sticker and driving it once twice a month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Stinkers wrote: »
    Hi All, I have checked my insurance policy with Aviva tonight and it states in section 5 that "the insured can drive other cars as long as they are not the property of the insured and must have the consent of the owner of the other car" It does not state anything about the car been an insured car with a disc. I am using this car every so often as it belongs to my father in law who no longer drives so we let his insurance lapse. The car is taxed and NCT'd. Am I insured to drive or is this a grey area? I was always cautious as its not an actual insured vehicle. Any advice people?

http://www.aviva.ie/media-library/MotorCare-Policy-Booklet.pdf

On page 17, it outlines the restrictions for the driving of other cars

"4 a current certificate of insurance has been issued and remains in force on the Private car being driven under the Driving other
    cars cover provided;"

That’s Aviva ruled so. Thanks for that

Advertisement