Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

220v appliance with irish power supply ?

Options
  • 04-05-2018 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hey just double checking here before I fry another rice cooker ,

should these specs run well with our power supply ?;

Ac 220 V

European 2 pin

800 watts cooking

thanks a mill ,

Barry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭carveone

We're "nominally" at 230V, 50Hz. With a good bit of plus and minus tolerances :) (207 Volts to 253 Volts according to Electric Ireland). For a rice cooker, I'd imagine it would be fine.

Although it begs the question - how did you fry the last rice cooker!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

120 v cooker , bought from states , life lesson learned

120 v cooker , bought from states , life lesson learned

Ah. That would do it alright! Suddenly 800W is really 1600W!

This used to happen a lot with consumer electronics before smps (switch mode power supplies) became the usual (ie: 110V-240V written on the device). It used to be an awful lot cheaper to pick up, well, anything anywhere but Ireland. And then blow it to hell when you plugged it in here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

carveone wrote: »
    Ah. That would do it alright! Suddenly 800W is really 1600W!

800w becomes 3200w there most likely.

Bruthal wrote: »
    800w becomes 3200w there most likely.

Doh!

I beg tiredness and lack of caffeine - don't tell other engineers :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Cerco

You will of course have to change the plug or buy an adaptor. Changing the plug is best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Got a kettle with a two pin schuko plug on it
    Sticker on kettle say its 3000 watt
    Want to cut off the plug but the question is irish plugs have a fuse inside wich is 13 amps
    13x 220 = 2860 watt so I think cant use the kettle here??? have to sent it back and get another one or is that not a problem Cut off the plug and put on a Irish one and it will work???

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Got a kettle with a two pin schuko plug on it
    Sticker on kettle say its 3000 watt
    Want to cut off the plug but the question is irish plugs have a fuse inside wich is 13 amps
    13x 220 = 2860 watt so I think cant use the kettle here??? have to sent it back and get another one or is that not a problem Cut off the plug and put on a Irish one and it will work???

Most kettles used in Ireland are 3 kW

A 13A plugtop fuse won’t fail if it slightly exceeds 13A for a short period. All fuses and MCBs have a “fusing characteristic”. When you look at this you will see that many protective devices can operate above their rated value for a protracted period.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

So to answer your question in terms of rating the kettle will be the ok.
    By the way in Ireland we are 230V supply, not 220.

Advertisement