Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couples insurance

Options
  • 04-05-2018 4:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi we have a dilemma at the moment and not sure how insurance works for couples. My husband and I have separate car insurance as we usually get a cheaper quote this way. He has more than 10 years ncd and I have 5 yrs ncd both of us as named driver on each car. I’m driving an old corolla there,s a lot of things that needs to be fixed and with current ruling for insuring a 15 yr old car it doesn’t look like it’s practical to fix it as the value of the car is low now. my insurance is due for renewal in few weeks. At the moment I’m still insured on that car but can’t afford to buy a newer car. We work on the same area and carpooling seems to be working for now. If we decided to just use his car until we’re able to replace my car is it ok to be a named driver at the moment or will I loose my ncb this way and will I get caught on high insurance again if I buy a car next year and get insured separately again

Hope you can enlighten me with this...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Since you are married you have an insurable interest in your spouses vehicle so can insure yourself in it. Switch main driver / policy holder every 2nd year so you both maintain your NCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭square ball

angelmum wrote: »
    Hi we have a dilemma at the moment and not sure how insurance works for couples. My husband and I have separate car insurance as we usually get a cheaper quote this way. He has more than 10 years ncd and I have 5 yrs ncd both of us as named driver on each car. I’m driving an old corolla there,s a lot of things that needs to be fixed and with current ruling for insuring a 15 yr old car it doesn’t look like it’s practical to fix it as the value of the car is low now. my insurance is due for renewal in few weeks. At the moment I’m still insured on that car but can’t afford to buy a newer car. We work on the same area and carpooling seems to be working for now. If we decided to just use his car until we’re able to replace my car is it ok to be a named driver at the moment or will I loose my ncb this way and will I get caught on high insurance again if I buy a car next year and get insured separately again

Hope you can enlighten me with this...

Your No Claims Bonus is valid for up to 2 years with most insurer's. If you haven't purchased a new car or policy by then you could take out the policy in your name and switch it every year with your husband but you would need to do it before the 2 years are up.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

As already mentioned above switch between insured and named driver every year. Myself and my husband do this, from dealing with our broker it seems to be quite common.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭angelmum

Thanks everyone! Your inputs on this is a great help for us.

Advertisement