Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORMTROOPERS - 2018

Options
  • 04-05-2018 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭

Watch it here:
    https://vimeo.com/267872296

449973.jpg

Stormtroopers is a fan film about a platoon of Stormtroopers who raid a remote Rebel Mining outpost.

Stormtroopers was filmed in Ireland on location in Cork, Waterford & Tipperary.

Stormtroopers stars Carolyn Bracken, Peter Cosgrove, Klancy Casey Williams, Micheal Fitzgerald, Michael Stack & Melissa Ciepierski.

Stormtroopers is written & directed by Micheal Fitzgerald and was produced by Cork Racing.

Cork based production and animation powerhouse Dog Day Media completed the VFX & Post-production.

This Short Film is fan made and is neither endorsed nor affiliated with Lucasfilm or Disney. All names and references are copyright and trademark of their respective owners. “Stormtroopers” is a non-profit fan film made for fans, by fans.

https://www.roguestormtroopers.com

STORMTROOPERS - Facebook Page

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

A little background on the private premier of this.

I was lucky enough to be invited by Micheal to it, and it was shown inside the Mitchelstown Caves in Cork, the first film ever to be shown there. The caves feature in the film itself so it was a really cool experience to watch it in that environment.

It was like a 4D cinematic experience complete with water drops falling on you from the stalactites above!

Here's some photos of the premier featured in the Irish Examiner:

StormtroopersFilmPremiereMitchelstownCaves160418a_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-469545

StormtroopersFilmPremiereMitchelstownCaves160418d_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-469545

StormtroopersFilmPremiereMitchelstownCaves160418b_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-469545

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭tigger123

Had a quick scim through it and looks really good. Production values are certainly up to par. Looking forward to watching it later! :)

Just ignore people here when they start comparing to other Star Wars, and how it sullies the memory of the original trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I enjoyed that. Well done to all involved

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Keplar240B wrote: »
    Hans shot first.

Hans..

Was he in the German Star Wars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

3 / 10

While I appreciate that it is a fan made movie and I can definitely see potential with more polish and attention to details. There are unfortunately a plethora of issues.

The short literally spends 50% of its run time building the tension of the stormtroopers getting ready for an assault and then ...... nothing. Just them walking up a beach.
    1. Plot? What plot?
    2. Dialogue is practically non-existent.
    3. Not enough attention paid to the small details. 9:22 - dead rebel soldiers head is mysteriously floating in the air and at 9:25 you can see him turn his head.
      • Get your bald head wet sir! You won't wake up with leprosy tomorrow.
    4. While blasters in the SWU do have recoil, the way the fighters show the recoil would make you think they have parkinsons.
    5. 4:13 - "Walkers". No sir, it's "A walker" (Nitpicking but come on!)

The music choice and CGI is great for a fan made movie though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

Hans..

Was he in the German Star Wars?

You just couldn't let it go, could you...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Must watch this tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Obviously I get it's a low budget affair but the completely flat, lifeless action bits and the really cheesy body language would be my main gripe (like what the guy said above, it looks like they're just shaking their weapons like they have Parkinsons)

Nothing wrong with the premise or the VFX for a fan film but it really needed a good action director/choreographer because it just sorta looks like kids playing lasers on camera and falls completely flat on that hurdle.

There are loads of fan films on YouTube with similar (or even lower) production values but have far superior action portrayals which makes them work a lot better I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,985 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Not bad for a micro budget fan film.

A proper, mission based, feature film with a squad of Stormtroopers would be pretty cool though. I could see that making a good bit of money.

Plus, isn't that font for 'Stormtroopers' the old Superquinn and 'Superstars' font. :pac:

250px-Superquinn.jpg

255px-BBC_Superstars_Logo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

There are loads of fan films on YouTube with similar (or even lower) production values but have far superior action portrayals which makes them work a lot better I think.

Interesting, any of the other Star Wars fan films I've seen tended to be only a few minutes long and had very little action in them.

This one stood out to me as the best in its class.

• Advertisement
Advertisement