Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grocery stores open on May Day?

Options
  • 03-05-2018 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

As this is my first year in Ireland, im not entirely sure if bigger stores like Dunnes or Lidl will be open on May Day. Can anyone confirm/decline that for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭endacl

All open. Shop away!

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

What the worry? its 364 days away.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ChickenAustria

milehip wrote: »

Well, may 7th is marked as a public holiday on publicholidays.ie thats why im asking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

milehip wrote: »

I think the OP means the bank holiday.

Yes Chicken Austria, unlike mainland Europe, the supermarkets open here 7 days a week, albeit with slightly restricted hours on weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

Ok sorry op, May Day is the 1st of May round these parts or it least it used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I hate when shops and other services close on bank holidays. I work every day that I can get work and now despise Bank holidays. Many professional services close for these days and I have been caught out several times on these days.

Every one should get an extra 9 days holidays and dispense with bank holidays entirely. They can then take the holidays when they want. If bosses try to welsh on not giving the holidays let the government force them to give the holidays.

I do not see the point of bank holidays, every one forced to take a days holidays when they may or may not want to and every thing too dear because everyone is off at the same time, creating false peak demand to suit the hotel trade and other rich property owners in this country.

People should be able to decide when they take their precious time off and not be dictated certain days off. I never go away on Bank holidays because it is too busy and too dear to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The shops are open so you can still get your messages :)

Lots of shops do shut down at Christmas and Easter but otherwise we don't have the shutdowns that you would be used to.

Check their webpages or Facebook to be sure.

Advertisement