Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spurring off a spur for lights

Options
  • 03-05-2018 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I have a quick question about an existing setup which I'm changing as insulation is going in. The setup looks like this:

449958.png

The lights are spurs off spurs and are clearly not allowed. I'd create a 2.5mm T&E link to a fused outlet (3A) and go from there with 1.5mm.

The double socket in the centre is, I believe, part of the ring. I say "I believe" because I haven't checked yet. If it isn't, that'll have to be changed too. The two singles to either side are spurs. Now I'm not enthusiastic about two spurs from one point, mainly because getting 4 wires into each connection is a bit of a struggle. But I can't find any regs against it. (Edit: Also, they are singles and you are allowed two singles on a spur. Or rather were allowed but rather curiously you aren't now. One double or one single!)

Question is - The double socket is never used because it's behind a bed. Is it reasonable/allowed to put connectors (ie: choc blocks) inside a pattress with a blanking plate and then spur from those? I feel somewhat uncomfortable with a ring main going through those connectors. The chunky circular 30A junction boxes are better but look ugly.

In my opinion, I should just split the ring and end up with two doubles only. But I may not have enough slack in the cable to do that...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

What part of the ocountry is this installation in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭carveone

Risteard81 wrote: »

Dublin. Does that make a difference? UK vs Irish regs perhaps... I was reading from the UK regs.

carveone wrote: »

Dublin. Does that make a difference? UK vs Irish regs perhaps... I was reading from the UK regs.
    Yes it does make a difference. The rules for ring final circuits are different between ET101 and BS7671.

(Incidentally, you are incorrect in stating that BS7671 allows an unfused spur to serve two single socket outlets - it does not. It allows one double or one single.) ET101 prohibits unfused spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭carveone

Yes it does make a difference. The rules for ring final circuits are different between ET101 and BS7671.

(Incidentally, you are incorrect in stating that BS7671 allows an unfused spur to serve two single socket outlets - it does not. It allows one double or one single.) ET101 prohibits unfused spurs.

Ah. I have a tendency as an elec eng to assume Irish regs follow U.K. Regs just because. Worth re reading the proper regs. I know that two singles are not allowed - I did say that I found that a bit odd.

In the event, my Dad has decided he wants to get rid of all of it and just have the socket. Which sorta solves that problem... :)

carveone wrote: »
    I know that two singles are not allowed - I did say that I found that a bit odd.
    Presumably the reason is that people were liable to replace the single socket outlets with double socket outlets. I believe two singles was permitted at one time, but I trained under the 16th Edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations and it certainly wasn't permitted then.

That said, there are numerous differences between the IET/IEE Wiring Regulations and the ETCI National Wiring Rules.

• Advertisement
Advertisement