Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Testing and Verification course applying to 3 Phase

Options
  • 03-05-2018 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

viper959 wrote: »

Earth fault loop impedance test would be carried out at the furthest point only as this will provide the highest impedance value. If this is sufficiently low all other points will be ok as they will be lower.
    2.How do I apply a T&V test to 3phase, industrial sites?

I don't really understand the question.
    The tests are the same (EFLI, IR, continuity, polarity etc..) and are applied in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Testing 3phase is pretty much an identical process to single phase.

The only issue you might find is testing 3phase equipment without a neutral (Testing Rcds) some meters require a neutral connection ie Fluke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭viper959

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

A 3 phase board can supply single phase circuits. So for a single phase circuit you can only test one phase (because it is all you have).

If the board is supplying a 3 phase device you should test an earth fault for each phase (because potentially any of the phases could develop an earth fault).
    And regarding the furthest outlet question. So, for a POLARITY test--if polarity is correct at my furthest outlet on a circuit - - - then it wouldn't/couldn't possibly be reversed at any other outlet on that circuit I'm presuming ?

Incorrect. Lets say it is a socket circuit. You could have the 1st socket polarity incorrect (phase and neutral mixed up) but it could be correct in the last socket.

• Advertisement

Yes, it is standard.

Yes, it should be standard.

No problem, anytime.
    I think that once the principles are properly explained people realize that it is not that complicated. When there isn't an opportunity to ask questions even highly competent electricians can get confused.

Testing is not something can be learnt off like a poem. It needs to be understood in terms of what you are trying to achieve, the purpose of the test and how the test "works". Then how to carry out the test becomes apparent.
    Have a nice bank holiday weekend

You too !

Advertisement