Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patio grouting advice

Options
  • 02-05-2018 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of replacing a patio and I was wondering if anyone could offer advice on the best grout to use. I've read about a sand/cement mix and also Rompox. Which is better? I want something that's as easy to maintain as possible - so, weed-proof, won't crack over time, and will survive a reasonable power washing without being blown out of the joints.

Some people are saying that the sand/cement mix cracks over time. And although I can't see anything online, I've heard anecdotally that Rompox can be power washed out between slabs and needs to be topped up every now and again.

Can anyone with experience please advise on the best way to go? I'd hate to end up looking at a botched job in a few years.

Thanks a mill.

Comments

It's expensive but I found it fantastic

http://allstone.ie/joint-it-paving-mortar/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Used a product called Fuge. Comes in tubs and has a consistency of wet sand. Simply brush in to the joints and leave to harden. Takes about a day or so to fully cure. It won’t stain or stick to the slabs themselves so no need to be careful about spreading it out. I bought mine from a guy in Oristown between Kells and Navan. I power wash my slabs once a year with an industrial power washer and it stands up well to washing. Patio is laid 6 years now and I’d guess roughly the joints may have dropped 2 millimeters since new.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭byrne_baby_byrn

Thanks for the replies. I hadn’t heard of Joint-It or Fuge before. They look very similar to the Rompox approach of “simply sweep it in” which is exactly what I’m looking for. And if they keep the weeds out, that ticks the box for me.

Out of interest, was their any clear advantage over things like Rompox or sand/cement mix that made you choose one product over the other? Or was it recommended by your respective suppliers or pavers?

As said above, none of these are cheap, so I’d hate to save a few quid and pick the wrong one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think that Rompox would have to badly laid to be able to be power washed out of a joint, its pretty strong stuff when hardened.
    I have 20m2 with Rompox and its holding up very well, If you went around after and used a small trowel to point it in harder it would probably be better again but they say that using a hose and gently washing the area will also bed it in better.
    Its super easy to use have a look at youtube for some demo's
    I wouldn't use a cement based mortar as it stains and is a lot of work to lay.

Thanks, CJhaughty. I’m ruling out the sand/cement mix, I think.

Any thoughts or experience with the other brands mentioned above?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thanks, CJhaughty. I’m ruling out the sand/cement mix, I think.

Any thoughts or experience with the other brands mentioned above?

No, I haven't used any other mortars apart from Rompox Easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

We were told to use funge.

Millem wrote: »
    We were told to use funge.

Thanks, Millem. How did it turn out for you? Does it take a power washing? Easy to maintain? Any weeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Thanks, Millem. How did it turn out for you? Does it take a power washing? Easy to maintain? Any weeds?

It’s a long story but I will tell you in a week when it is finished!!!

Long story? I’m already dying to know! Good luck with the project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

I used fuge on mine. I got it cause it came in a wide variety of colours. It's fantastic , himself power washes once a year and it stays put !! Not one weed have I seen. Totally recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,169 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I saw this stuff in my local Homebase last week

https://www.homebase.co.uk/cementone-patio-grout-natural_p087469

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SherryG

Got Fuge in my local patio centre, I got grey, but also available in Natural/tan and Basalt (Black). Fuge Immobest Elastic ready mix pavement fixing mortar. Not cheap 44 quid a 20kg bucket and it will take 3 prob to do the front street. powerhouse the joints first to remove dirt and moss, applies well but takes a bit of time to brush it in and water down etc. time will tell but seems to be hardening well.

this is the product - https://www.naturalstoneireland.ie/other-products/fuge-immobest/

Advertisement