Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance advice

Options
  • 02-05-2018 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

My partner was involved in a vehicle collision back a number of months ago. The driver of the other vehicle crashed into her from behind and done some damage to the rear of the car. The driver of the other vehicle begged not to involve insurance and claimed he would pay for the repairs himself which my partner agreed to. She had never been in an accident before, was in a bit of shock and did not know hat to do.(The guards were not called after the accident)

We were given a quote for the repairs and relayed the information onto the other party who asked could he look for his own quote and get back to us which we agreed to. As it was around Christmas time we did not want to be chasing anyone for money straight away. After 4 weeks we had no contact from the other party and no reply when we tried to contact them so went to the guards who eventually were able to contact the other party(they happened to change their phone number) and took their details and passed them onto us and told us the other party wanted to pay themselves instead of going through insurance.

We contacted the other party who again asked for the quote and when given said they would pay half one week and half the following month when they get paid. Of course again we have not heard from them since.

My question is what would be the next step to take. Do we go to our insurers or the other parties about the issue? Do we go back to the guards about it?Since this has all came about we have changed our own insurers so does this cause an issue?

A lesson learned is that don't trust anyone when it comes to a collision and call the guards and notify the insurance companies asap.

Any advice/help will be appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Contact your insurer. Get them claim from the 3rd party.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭treascon

Go directly to the third party's insurer and pursue a claim against his policy. If this is a straightforward rearender then he is responsible end off. The only thing you should be doing with your own insurer is notifying them of the incident as you are obliged to do. The third party clearly has no intention of paying you at this stage and I wouldn't waste anymore time trying to contact him either.

Advertisement