Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting jobs

Options
  • 02-05-2018 5:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

Most of us here on O & O have now retired from work, although this question is open to everyone who wishes to respond.

What, up to now, has been your most interesting/enjoyable job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Definitely my last job, teaching design and crafts to plc students, though on reflection I have enjoyed most of my rather random assortment of jobs. Most of my time was at home with children but I had maybe 8 jobs, including 2 self employed.

The very oddest one was working for a huge international firm as a coding clerk to the managing director. In the days when messages were sent by ticker tape, the MD's communications were sent in code. My job was to translate from plain English to a code of bunches of 5 letters. Fortunately I was only there temporarily to fill in for someone, because I was utterly hopeless at it. You really had to be able to memorise the code system, rather than look up every word, but I don't have that sort of memory so I was very slow. We parted very amicably (and with relief) when the contract was up!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

looksee wrote: »
    Definitely my last job, teaching design and crafts to plc students, though on reflection I have enjoyed most of my rather random assortment of jobs. Most of my time was at home with children but I had maybe 8 jobs, including 2 self employed.

The very oddest one was working for a huge international firm as a coding clerk to the managing director. In the days when messages were sent by ticker tape, the MD's communications were sent in code. My job was to translate from plain English to a code of bunches of 5 letters. Fortunately I was only there temporarily to fill in for someone, because I was utterly hopeless at it. You really had to be able to memorise the code system, rather than look up every word, but I don't have that sort of memory so I was very slow. We parted very amicably (and with relief) when the contract was up!

brilliant, my life has been filled with a variety of jobs and none of them were very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Streetmarket trading.. as long as you interpret "interesting"in a certain way! Also the hardest work ever and i started it aged well over 60. Learned things re human nature i wish I hadn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Social Welfare Inspector for a year and a half. Interesting job, although it definitely had its ups and downs.

The worst part was dealing with middle classers who had fallen on hard times and detested the fact that they had to deal with me. They could be hard work.

The funniest part was being able to rock up to a halting site like you lived there and everyone knowing the car and waving at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Social Welfare Inspector for a year and a half. Interesting job, although it definitely had its ups and downs.

The worst part was dealing with middle classers who had fallen on hard times and detested the fact that they had to deal with me. They could be hard work.

The funniest part was being able to rock up to a halting site like you lived there and everyone knowing the car and waving at you.

Wow, that sounds really interesting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement