Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chokes for clayshooting

Options
  • 01-05-2018 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Can anyone give me info on chokes each choke has a notich I, II, III, IIII, and IIIII but ive only heard of them being called full quarter half etc what does each notch stand for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

I suppose 5 notches being full 1 notch being cylinder.

Cylinder I
    Quarter II
    Half III
    Three quarter IIII
    Full IIIII

I could be backwards. Get a vernier calipers an check restriction

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Doylerzz

Great thanks for that, Have no idea what the best combo is yet. Im starting out at clays is there anyone around the midlands that would do a bit of coaching?

Doylerzz wrote: »
    Great thanks for that, Have no idea what the best combo is yet. Im starting out at clays is there anyone around the midlands that would do a bit of coaching?

All depends on the game. If its skeet then you want the barrels open as possible, cylinder and quarter. for trap shooting you want them closed up.

Just sporting clays you can switch them out as you need. I personally use a quarter and a half choke most of the time.

Where in the midlands? Best way to learn is to get out and shoot. Harbour house is in kildare. Great spot

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

1 notch is Full, four is Improved Cylinder.

mostly just sporting at the moment, I’ve 3/4 and half in the gun at the min. I’m in Laois and have just started shooting in spink, not sure if you know the place or not. What days does harbor house open? Wouldn’t be too far from me I suppose.

• Advertisement

mostly just sporting at the moment, I’ve 3/4 and half in the gun at the min. I’m in Laois and have just started shooting in spink, not sure if you know the place or not. What days does harbor house open? Wouldn’t be too far from me I suppose.

know spink quiet well its a very good spot, harbour house is open everyday as far as i know, have a good aul layout

as for coaching you could try john conroy in hophall outside portlaoise. no first hand experience but heard good things

know spink quiet well its a very good spot, harbour house is open everyday as far as i know, have a good aul layout

Yeah I’ve only just started clay shooting again. Did a very small bit a few years ago but noting major. Going to spink was a wake up call!

Advertisement