Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance on a hired car

Options
  • 01-05-2018 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

Next week I will be driving a hired car. I phoned my insurance company and inquired about driving the car under my comprehensive insurance. I was advised to transfer my insurance for the 2 days. I understood it would be the same, as say, driving my sons car to the NCT while he is in work? In other words, I would have his permission to drive his car. Why would the same not apply to a hired car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Because the clause in your insurance policy which allows you to drive other cars contains an exclusion for hire cars. Regardless of who are you insured with, every company excludes rented/hired cars under 'driving other cars'.

Have you the agreement of the rental company that you will provide the insurance? If you are going to move your insurance over to the car then you should consider renting a 'replacement car' from a main dealer. It won't be anywhere near as clean and new as a rental car but it will cost an awful lot less. Notwithstanding what they already told you, you may have a problem transferring your insurance to a car owned by a rental company.

Advertisement