Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paint prices?

Options
  • 01-05-2018 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭

Looking to paint one room, trying find descent paint. As i know dulux paint is good ( in workplace painters using it, and says it is the best), so start looking around, and prices are priceless.. 2.5L 40 euro, just about mad. Anyone know is in North ireland dulux would be cheaper? Or somewhere in Dublin some warehouse sells reasonably priced. No need a lot. Something 10 litres.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

Are you looking at the Moda range from Dulux? Yes its expensive. You can get a colour made to your choice for a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

I will say, the moda range is brilliant stuff.
    Best paint I've used, both the dark blue and the teal are very impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Any paint off the shelf is dearer. I use McPherson paints all the time now. They are a subsidiary of Crown and can be made up to any colour. Just google Crown Decorating centres for locations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Thanks for answers.
    Right. Is there cheaper range from dulux moda, but good quality? I am not in to mixing or so. Just need standard paint walls magnolia ish, and white ceilings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,785 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Here is the problem with paint as far as I can see. Paint is a high technology product containing expensive ingredients which make it apply well and last a fairly long time. But because it is water based, a lot of the can is actually water, which is obviously more or less free (except for cost of shipping).

It is easy enough for a manufacturer to drop the cost and price. They just use less of the expensive ingredients and add more water or cheap ingredients to make up the volume. But the paint just won't be as good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Here is the problem with paint as far as I can see. Paint is a high technology product containing expensive ingredients which make it apply well and last a fairly long time. But because it is water based, a lot of the can is actually water, which is obviously more or less free (except for cost of shipping).

It is easy enough for a manufacturer to drop the cost and price. They just use less of the expensive ingredients and add more water or cheap ingredients to make up the volume. But the paint just won't be as good.

Nail on head. If you want cheap paint be prepared for a cheap looking finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭Tow

€40 a tin is not extensive when two coats do the job. I once put 5 coats of Fleetwood magnolia on a room and and declared never again...

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

all the paints on the shelf can be mixed at the counter and you get the same colour.

some colours are considered light base and they can be mixed using a cheaper white dulux matt or sheen paint, works out about 25-27 instead of 40-50.
    Ive done this in 2 bedrooms and a bathroom at home and the finish came out 100%
    The people in the shop recommend this option, they said there is very little between the 2.

Advertisement