Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RCD Socket Garden

Options
  • 01-05-2018 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have an RCD socket in garden on a wall.

I need to another on opposite side of wall. Will take feed from the 1st socket.

Question is I need new socket with RCD protection. Given that it’s taking feed off original RCD socket within 300mm can I just install a non RCD socket and maintain RCD protection on new socket?

Work will be done by sparks. Just wondering if I can save a few bob before I buy socket for him.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

You don't appear to understand how an SRCD (RCD socket) works. You also don't appear to know how the circuit is supplied.

I would suggest you let the Electrician source what is needed himself. I know many Electricians do not wish to fit customer-supplied parts in the mistaken belief that the customer will save a couple of quid. They are there to run a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Risteard81 wrote: »
    You don't appear to understand how an SRCD (RCD socket) works. You also don't appear to know how the circuit is supplied.

I would suggest you let the Electrician source what is needed himself. I know many Electricians do not wish to fit customer-supplied parts in the mistaken belief that the customer will save a couple of quid. They are there to run a business.

No I don’t know how an RCD socket works, that why I asked the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Risteard81 wrote: »

No I don’t know how an RCD socket works, that why I asked the question.
    And I have given an answer.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Just wondering if I can save a few bob before I buy socket for him.

I have to agree with Risteard81.

#1 You will not be able to buy a socket for less than a professional in the trade. The overwhelming chances are that you will pay more. You are also going to pay the higher VAT rate where as the electrician will most likely charge you the lower VAT rate for the same unit.

#2 There is an increased risk that you will purchase an inferior socket (even if it is the correct type) due to your lack of installation experience.

#3 There is a greater chance that the unit you purchase will be not be fit for purpose.

In summary, even when you are entirely certain of what to buy you will not save money by supplying it.

Advertisement