Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Catch Wrestling in Dublin?

• 01-05-2018 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Does anyone know of any catch wrestling clubs or classes on in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I think you'll really struggle to find something like that over here in general.

Your best bet is probably to train MMA / Olympic Wrestling / No-gi Brazilian Jiujitsu as you'll learn an awful lot of similar techniques in those three disciplines. You could even leave off MMA entirely if you don't want to learn any striking at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Martian Martin

Thanks MagicIRL. Odd isn't considering how much Catch stuff there is in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

yeah wrestling died off completely in Ireland in the late 18th century but it used to be as common as boxing.

thanks to mma grappling is back but its as part of mma as opposed to stand alone wrestling

yeah wrestling died off completely in Ireland in the late 18th century but it used to be as common as boxing.

thanks to mma grappling is back but its as part of mma as opposed to stand alone wrestling
    I didn't know that. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,013 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

For all intents and purposes, catch wrestling is a subset of nogi grappling (along with BJJ).
    If you want to bias catch over BJJ, it's simply a case of find the right club. Look for clubs with dedicated wresting coachs/class. Just make sure they do catch and not Olympic freestyle for MMA.

• Advertisement

I like that Catch really seems to prioritize submissions and not so much with the passing, sweeps etc - that's obviously a huge generalization so nobody jump down my throat pls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

I didn't know that. Cheers.

It comes up in the national fokelore collections and I haven't had a chance to read up on it but a few of the Irish sports historiesinclude chapters on wrestling. and irsh coller and elbow wrestling is credited as an early influence on american pro wrestling

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Might get shot down for saying this but you should check any pro wrestling schools around Dublin, and they might have someone who can teach you a bit of catch. Now you should of course do some BJJ as well if you are interested in any competing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

If you're near one Judo might be a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,013 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I like that Catch really seems to prioritize submissions and not so much with the passing, sweeps etc - that's obviously a huge generalization so nobody jump down my throat pls.
    It's a generalization, but not a millions miles off imo.

Not so much that they rate subs higher, but that they avoid the guard. In catch top position is king. BJJ is more comfortable off their back. Which in turn leads to more guard passing sweeps etc. Catch guys will often establishing a grip from a bad position (like inside guard) and use it to move to a good position (threaten the sub to pass) and then finish.

Neil Melanson has a lot of good instructional content on youtube. Any of the BJJ kimura trap/system stuff is also directly interchangeable with catch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement