Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wait 4 days to renew when I hit 25, or won't make difference?

Options
  • 01-05-2018 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am 24, I will be 25 on 28th of May.

My currently policy runs out on 24th of may, I was quoted 1250 Eur fully Comp with NCB protection (which seems like good price already) but I heard that after 25 - you're no longer "young driver", can I expect any noticable/decent deduction?

Has anybody had any experience with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

arleitiss wrote: »
    Hi, I am 24, I will be 25 on 28th of May.

My currently policy runs out on 24th of may, I was quoted 1250 Eur fully Comp with NCB protection (which seems like good price already) but I heard that after 25 - you're no longer "young driver", can I expect any noticable/decent deduction?

Has anybody had any experience with this?

Not that difficult to check, right?! Which point on the NCB scale are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

grogi wrote: »
    Not that difficult to check, right?! Which point on the NCB scale are you?

I asked insurer on phone and they said they cant give me price if I was 25 because I am not 25 yet.

I am on 50% (6th point according to NCB certificate)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'd wait the four days. I would have waited the four days when you originally took out a policy. You would have saved a fortune over a few years

I asked insurer on phone and they said they cant give me price if I was 25 because I am not 25 yet.

You cannot just renew 4 days later. If you let the policy lapse for 4 days, you would need to start a new policy.

Fill some applications online/call around and see what you stand on.

You cannot just renew 4 days later. If you let the policy lapse for 4 days, you would need to start a new policy.

Fill some applications online/call around and see what you stand on.

Badly worded.
    I mean take out new policy 4 days later, I am not renewing as quote they provided was sky-high.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Run a few online quotes. See what difference does it make.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

I am not renewing as quote they provided was sky-high.

I was quoted 1250 Eur fully Comp with NCB protection (which seems like good price already

??? Do some research online for renewals and ring them up to try get it down a little cheaper. Then next year you'll qualify for insurance for over 25. It's not their fault your policy renews just before your birthday unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CHorn

Check with www.25plus.ie - they specialize in over-25s. just make renewal date on/after your birthday?

And Happy Birthday too...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Every year you renew, you are effectively taking out a new policy - there is no continuous 'policy' that runs from year to year and which you dare not break, even for four days. The policy you had last year is history and legally has nothing to do with your current policy. It is a contract of insurance which lasts 12 months, it doesn't last forever or until you move to a different company.

If you let your policy lapse for a few days, all you do is tell them you were on holidays and forgot about it, they will renew it no problem.

coylemj wrote: »
    Every year you renew, you are effectively taking out a new policy - there is no continuous 'policy' that runs from year to year and which you dare not break, even for four days. The policy you had last year is history and legally has nothing to do with your current policy. It is a contract of insurance which lasts 12 months, it doesn't last forever or until you move to a different company.

There is. It has the same number...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

coylemj wrote: »

If you let your policy lapse for a few days, all you do is tell them you were on holidays and forgot about it, they will renew it no problem.

True enough, but sometimes your current insurers will give you a quote before end date and won't tell you ( or small print) that the quote is void if you let policy lapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

lalababa wrote: »
    True enough, but sometimes your current insurers will give you a quote before end date and won't tell you ( or small print) that the quote is void if you let policy lapse.

P.s. Do as most tell you here, get quotes as if you are the 25. Wait the 4 days if quotes look good. Oh feck I see you are definitely not renewing. That's grand you can definitely wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There is. It has the same number...

That is nothing more than a customer number.

Every time you renew, you do so on the basis of the current policy document (Axa have changed their motor policy document four times in the past two years) and the schedule they send you. It's a different contract (=policy) of insurance, bound by different Ts & Cs each time you renew.

For all my past renewals - I only had same reference number, policy number changed every year.

Advertisement