Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Migration to Australia

Options
  • 01-05-2018 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi everyone,
    I'm in need of some help. I want to Migrate to Australia. I am single, 33 and have 1 dependent. I'm a massage therapist (with 8 years experience), which seems to be on the Short Term Skills List. However, I don't know if I can apply through this occupation. There seems to be a lot of different lists and I don't fully understand what I need to do. If anyone has any information for me I'd greatly appreciate it. Or even a good agent I can get in contact with, that would be great too. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Hi and welcome to Boards.ie !

I've moved your question to our dedicated area for all things Oz :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Looks to me that you can apply through this visa
    https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/482-

It looks like you will need to find an employer willing to sponser you before applying for the visa.

You could also look at https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/489- but you need to be invited to apply for this visa by submitting an express of interest.

The british expats forum has a good australian immigration board

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

RoLo2007 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I'm in need of some help. I want to immigrate to Australia. I am single, 33 and have 1 dependent. I'm a massage therapist (with 8 years experience), which seems to be on the Short Term Skills List. However, I don't know if I can apply through this occupation. There seems to be a lot of different lists and I don't fully understand what I need to do. If anyone has any information for me I'd greatly appreciate it. Or even a good agent I can get in contact with, that would be great too. Thanks
    Can I assume you have a kid ?   How will that work , you will never see them

• Registered Users Posts: 5 RoLo2007

Why would I never see him? Lots of people I know have kids and live in other countries and see their children. What do you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

But, he'd be coming with me? Why would anyone think he wouldn't be?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

But, he'd be coming with me? Why would anyone think he wouldn't be?

Well really thats up to The Dept of Immigration.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    It is. But if he couldn't go then neither would I

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The standard Australian working visas all carry a right to bring in dependent children. This is not something decided case-by-case on the whim of the Depat of Immigration (or Dept of Home Affairs, as we are now supposed to call it).

Peregrinus wrote: »
    The standard Australian working visas all carry a right to bring in dependent children. This is not something decided case-by-case on the whim of the Depat of Immigration (or Dept of Home Affairs, as we are now supposed to call it).

Thanks mandrake04. I already knew this but I didn't want an agreement, just some info. :)

• Advertisement

They actually do make decisions, on every case..because not everyone’s circumstances are the same.

That’s probably why they are called case officers.

They actually do make decisions, on every case..because not everyone’s circumstances are the same.

That’s probably why they are called case officers.
    Yes, they do make decisions, but not on a whim. They apply rules to the facts of each case. It's not up to the case officer to decide whether the holder of such-and-such a visa gets to bring dependent children with them. If they have dependent children, they get to bring them. The case officer may get to decide whether the children are dependent or not but, again, not on a whim; there are rules about dependency that the case officer applies.

Yes, they do make decisions, but not on a whim. They apply rules to the facts of each case. It's not up to the case officer to decide whether the holder of such-and-such a visa gets to bring dependent children with them. If they have dependent children, they get to bring them. The case officer may get to decide whether the children are dependent or not but, again, not on a whim; there are rules about dependency that the case officer applies.

Where did I mention on a whim? Or about dependency? or anything else? You were the one mentioned all that...and I have no idea why!!

I simply said it’s up to Dept of Immigration who makes these decisions.

All dependents are required to meet their own criteria, every part of the application is decided by an official or case officer that they meet that criteria.

Applications fail all the time on health and legal matters over dependents.

Where did I mention on a whim? Or about dependency? or anything else? You were the one mentioned all that...and I have no idea why!!

I simply said it’s up to Dept of Immigration who makes these decisions.
    The decision's already made. If you have dependent children, you get to bring them with you. This is not something a case officer gets to decide. The OP says she has a dependent child, and neither you nor I are in a position to contradict her.

So, if the OP's belief that she has a dependent child is correct, and she is granted a visa, she can bring her child with her. Not much room in their for the Dept to be making decisions.

The decision's already made. If you have dependent children, you get to bring them with you. This is not something a case officer gets to decide. The OP says she has a dependent child, and neither you nor I are in a position to contradict her.

So, if the OP's belief that she has a dependent child is correct, and she is granted a visa, she can bring her child with her. Not much room in their for the Dept to be making decisions.

That’s not the point I was making, I simply said the Dept and case officer decides who is granted a visa...not the OP or anyone else on this forum.

I never contradicted the OP about the dependency, I never even mentioned until you did !!!! along with a load of other rubbish about whims.

Decision is not already made LOL that’s a funny statement, Applications fail all the time... sure the main applicant can tick all the boxes but a secondary applicant can still fail health and legal matters. So then who makes the decisions on these fails?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Hi everyone,
    I'm in need of some help. I want to Migrate to Australia. I am single, 33 and have 1 dependent. I'm a massage therapist (with 8 years experience), which seems to be on the Short Term Skills List. However, I don't know if I can apply through this occupation. There seems to be a lot of different lists and I don't fully understand what I need to do. If anyone has any information for me I'd greatly appreciate it. Or even a good agent I can get in contact with, that would be great too. Thanks

Hey, try searching/posting over in www.pomsinoz.com. Lot more users and activity and you might get guidance rather than dumb comments and posters arguing on semantics.

Advertisement