Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently with Vodafone but tempted to shop around and would like advice

Options
  • 01-05-2018 10:25am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys and gals,

Currently, I'm with Vodafone. I have been for ages.

Looking at my bill, I pay €35 a month, and for that I get the Unlimited Minutes and texts to Vodafone numbers, Unlimited texts and 100 minutes to Irish numbers, and 1GB of data.

Honestly, 95% of my phone usage is internet browsing and the likes.

So, basically my question is, can I get a better deal than that currently? Is it worth jumping to another network for more GBs at a lower cost? Is there anyone who would offer more GBs at a lower cost? Or is that an ok deal to stick with? I don't need a new phone, so its nearly all about the cost vs what I'm getting for it.

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,200 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Most pay as you go plans are better value than that I would think. I'm on the 20 euro a month data extra one with vodafone and it gets me free calls and text to vodafone phones along with 5GB data. Only missing the 100minutes/free texts to all Irish numbers.

You also have "all you can eat data" for 20 a month pay as you go with Three but I found their coverage to be crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Eir have 15GB and all calls for 20 euro per 28 days (PAYG). If you need text then either use their webtext or pay 30 per 28 days for 15GB, all calls and text.

Vodafone also have a data user plan for 20 per 28 days. Includes 15GB and keep the 20 top which can then be used to buy calls add ons. Vodafone have 600 free webtext.

Not sure if you can switch to the data user PAYG from bill pay without going through some hoops. You might need to port out and then back in to get this plan, in that case you'd need to switch to PAYG from bill pay first and then port out.

Thread here about data user plan https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057850162&page=32

The plan you're on is bad value, look at Vodafones SIM only and PAYG plans on their website where you can get a lot more for the same amount you currently pay.
    For example...

PAYG Extra

Unlimited Any network calls & texts

100 International minutes

8GB Data

€30 top up required every 28 days

SIM Only RED 30 Day

Unlimited calls and texts to any network

5GB data

€30 per month

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Hey guys and gals,

Currently, I'm with Vodafone. I have been for ages.

Looking at my bill, I pay €35 a month, and for that I get the Unlimited Minutes and texts to Vodafone numbers, Unlimited texts and 100 minutes to Irish numbers, and 1GB of data.

Honestly, 95% of my phone usage is internet browsing and the likes.

So, basically my question is, can I get a better deal than that currently? Is it worth jumping to another network for more GBs at a lower cost? Is there anyone who would offer more GBs at a lower cost? Or is that an ok deal to stick with? I don't need a new phone, so its nearly all about the cost vs what I'm getting for it.
    Have a look at this. https://www.vodafone.ie/pay-as-you-go-plans/vodafone-x/index.jsp?c_source=google&c_medium=ppc&&c_name=Vodafone-X-Brand&c_term=vodafone%20x&matchtype=e&adposition=1t1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwibDXBRCyARIsAFHp4fov7ppFLIUF-5T3aDfx_kmwe8TOd6jWh9psqclB_Dc660ywALXwHoAaAphoEALw_wcB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Tesco have a €15 prepay plan that might suit.

https://www.tescomobile.ie/prepay-plans.aspx

Unlimited calls
    10GB data
    Unlimited Tesco Mobile texts
    Keep your €15 credit for add-ons

Does anyone see any drawbacks? (I'm thinking of switching from the 25-a-month Virgin plan to this one.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Unlimited calls
    10GB data

Does anyone see any drawbacks? (I'm thinking of switching from the 25-a-month Virgin plan to this one.)

It's Tesco. 3G only, and crap 3G speeds at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Unlimited calls
    10GB data

Avoid TM. Terrible network. 2G instead of 3G in many places. No 4G.
    Just don't do it.... I was previously a TM customer and left last year.

I jumped to Eir SIM only. Can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I should add that there is no reception in wilderness with TM. VF is best but you get little for your money, eir is best middle ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,788 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Eir has decent packages for decent money. but appalling customer service and back-office operations - essentially, it's grand, unless something goes wrong!

3 have good value but the network is horribly congested and shared with other virtual networks (like Tesco). Coverage outside the cities and indoors can be problematic

VF have the best network (though not as great as they like to advertise in my experience), but the value is terrible. Customer Service isn't great either.

We don't really HAVE a "best" network in this country IMO. It's a trade-off of what you can put up with. Best bet is to compare the Sim Only deals I think. That way if something goes wrong you can get out after 30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I hear all the objections about TM only being 3G, and not being good outside cities, but I was still tempted, because I was with Three for years until recently, who were only giving me 3G, which I was fine with, and I've hardly been outside the M50 in about 2 years.

However, I've just noticed that Virgin have a €15 per month sim only plan, which I will probably switch to (from my €25 a month Virgin plan). It's limited to 2Gb of data, but as far as I can see from my recent bills, I'm only using 1GB or less each month anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

Im living in Kerry and was with Vodafone but could not get a proper reception. I switched with 3 and now have 4g at home. I have faster BB on my phone than i do with the landline.
    Its the same with the village I work in, Only people with 3 can get a reception.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

Vodafone X 20gb 28days 100minutes and 3000texts you can avail of free Spotify or free anytime calls at weekend or sky sports on phone.
    Supposed to be a student but you can change you bill to pay as go sim and apply through Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭raxy

I would switch to Vodafone smart extra. 6gb data & 100 minutes & texts for 20/month.
    This is the updated data extra plan.

You could always switch & try other networks. I was with 3 for years & never again. Dir have had crap signal where ever I've tried.
    If switching go prepay to make sure your happy with the coverage first before getting stuck in a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Even better value, bit of hassle to sign up but worth it.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057850162/62/#post107043062

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Best offer around but don't have the best service
    Lyca offer unlimited calls and 15gb 3g for €15pm, can be reduced to €7.50pm

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

If eir suits you, this might be worth a look

https://www.eir.ie/mobile/prepay/

Enjoy unlimited calls & social media with eir prepay
    Enjoy endless entertainment with eir prepay for €20 top up

Get unlimited access to YouTube, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, Whatapp & Viber messaging
    A further 15GB of 4G data
    Unlimited calls to all networks and landlines

Get €120 free credit & keep your number.

When you switch to eir prepay and you can keep your number and get €120 free credit!

Just top up your account by €20 every month and you will get €10 bonus credit each month, for a whole 12 months.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

If you're going for PAYG, then Three is a no brainer. €20 will give you a month of free Three calls, any network texts and unlimited 4G data.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Pugzilla wrote: »
    If you're going for PAYG, then Three is a no brainer. €20 will give you a month of free Three calls, any network texts and unlimited 4G data.

Thinking of switching to 3 PAYG. They say that you get your €20 back at the end of the month. What does that mean exactly? Can I use it online for shopping or just put it forward for another month?

It's not so much that they give it back, it's that you keep it.

Just for clarity, it's 28 days (not a month).

After the 28 days, standard rates are charged for data at a euro per MB. So 20 euro could be gone doing a speed test so you need to check the exact expiry date.

The only add on that credit can be used for is 500MB for 4.99 for 28 days. Only a 20 euro top up will activate the offer for another 28 days.

Unused credit expires after 180 days.

Also, it costs 35c per min for non three calls.

It's a good offer if you mostly use data.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I guess I don't understand how they make money from it? I use data almost exclusively so it looks good, but I'm suspicious.

They make money by taking unused credit after 180 days.

The euro per MB standard rate catches a lot of people out, if you forget to turn off mobile data before midnight on the last day of the plan then 120 euro could be gone before breakfast if you open YouTube by accident. There are plenty of threads on three forum from people getting fleeced.

They also over sell it, so it can slow to a crawl in the evening.

On the plus side, if you have good signal and reasonable download speed, it's fine.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

You can use your left over three credit in the Google Playstore for Google Play Music, Deezer, apps, books, movies, streaming services etc.

Advertisement