Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New tyres question

Options
  • 01-05-2018 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭

So I need new tyres for my car but only three as the fourth one was a replacement for a side wall puncture. Will I get away with putting a new Michelin primacy hp with one that's done maybe 20k or should I just keep it as a spare? Any good suppliers who get close to online prices in north dublin that aren't discount tyres? TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Keep it as a spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭brennarr

I found these guys great - they were cheaper than discount tyres for the Michelin Primacy I got.

https://www.campbellsgarage.ie/

There is a discount when you order online too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

brennarr wrote: »
    I found these guys great - they were cheaper than discount tyres for the Michelin Primacy I got.

thanks unfortunately they only seem to have the primacy 3 and not the HP that I have. If I buy the HP from oponeo how much would I expect to pay per corner for fitting and balancing? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

What size are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

I was looking for some Uniroyal Rainsport 3 (225/45/17) and found them for £52stg (€60 + €9 shipping/tyre) on camskill ... They're €109 by Campbells?, €40 difference per tyre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,121 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Check online prices on www.oponeo.ie and www.tyreleader.ie

jimbis wrote: »
    What size are you looking for?

215-50-17-W`

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭brennarr

jim salter wrote: »
    I was looking for some Uniroyal Rainsport 3 (225/45/17) and found them for £52stg (€60 + €9 shipping/tyre) on camskill ... They're €109 by Campbells?, €40 difference per tyre.

You're not comparing like for like. My comparison was for another tyre supplier and fitter in the north Dublin area.

You should be comparing your quote to the likes of www.oponeo.ie and www.tyreleader.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

sweetie wrote: »
    215-50-17-W`

Get 4 225/45R17s instead. They’re much cheaper.

Obviously check that your car can take the marginally wider tyre.

colm_mcm wrote: »

thanks for that, how would one check this short of buying them?
    Pre-worn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

215-50-17-W`

I drive a Mondeo with 215/50R17's and was thinking of doing just that the last time around. The plate on the car doesn't list that tyre size and I was wondering if I had an 'incorrect' tyre size on it could lead to insurance problems if there was ever an accident. Was I been overly paranoid or is this a thing that they check?

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

235/45R17 or 225/50R17 would be more suitable alternative's to 215/50R17 on a mondeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

VeVeX wrote: »
    235/45R17 or 225/50R17 would be more suitable alternative's to 215/50R17 on a mondeo.

It was actually 235's I was looking at.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

You're not comparing like for like. My comparison was for another tyre supplier and fitter in the north Dublin area.

You should be comparing your quote to the likes of www.oponeo.ie and www.tyreleader.ie

You referenced purchasing online from them. So, I compared the same tyre I was currently considering(Uniroyal Rainsport 3) between Camskill & Campbells and even with fitting there is about €30 per corner difference - same tyre.

Admittedly the difference with the Michelin is negligible.

VeVeX wrote: »

The point is that 225/45R17 is a cheap and very common size. 235/45 and 225/50 are oddball sizes and thus more expensive.

thanks for that, how would one check this short of buying them?
    Pre-worn?

Are you still driving a 5008?

Are you still driving a 5008?

yep, 160k and counting :D

The point is that 225/45R17 is a cheap and very common size. 235/45 and 225/50 are oddball sizes and thus more expensive.

It seems that the 225/45 will fit my car. I'm assuming it's best to put 4 new on rather than just two new on the back for understeer reasons? cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

sorry to jack the thread but can i take it that tyreleader.ie are ok to deal with?

about to order and might have them delivered to a garage near me listed on their site.

It seems that the 225/45 will fit my car. I'm assuming it's best to put 4 new on rather than just two new on the back for understeer reasons? cheers

If you’re going for 2 tyres just put the 225s on the back. Understeer won’t be an issue.

• Advertisement

sorry to jack the thread but can i take it that tyreleader.ie are ok to deal with?

about to order and might have them delivered to a garage near me listed on their site.

I think I have read here that people had been having delays on delivery ?

Advertisement