Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U essentials

Options
  • 01-05-2018 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭

With the price of the Wii U plummeting (down to €120 in CEX for the Premium one), I've been thinking about picking one up cheap and hoovering up all the decent games for it. Problem is, I have a Switch now so games like Zelda, Bayonetta, Donkey Kong, Splatoon, Captain Toad and Mario Kart are on that and in many cases, are better versions.

What are the games that haven't made it off the console that are worth picking up and are there any eStore gems worth getting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Probably Yoshi's Woolly World won't get ported to Switch as it was ported last year to 3DS. Wind Waker and Twilight Princess may not get ports either.
    Mario Maker, Xenoblade Chronicles X and Pikmin 3 haven't been ported yet either. Super Mario 3D World and New Super Mario Bros U are meant to be good too. Its hard it guess what will and will not get ported so its a lot of guesses tbh
    May pick up a WiiU eventually as I never bothered with a Wii tbh :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,942 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Sensor bar and wii mote for all the Wii must haves.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

The Wii U comes with a sensor bar if you buy the Premium model and the gamepad has a built-in sensor bar as well.

The games mentioned above are great but there's plenty of others. Some good 3Rd party games are Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Batman: Arkham City, Need for Speed Underground, Assassin’s Creed 4, the Darksiders games, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Scribblenauts Unlimited, The Wonderful 101, Mass Effect 3, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE and if you like fighters, there's Injustice and Tekken Tag Tournament 2. There's more but they're the one's I can think of at the moment.

eShop only games, there's Child of Light, Guacamole, Stealth Inc. 2, the Trine games, Freedom Planet and you might like the NES Remix games.

Then there's VC games which the Switch may never get.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

sligeach wrote: »
    Then there's VC games which the Switch may never get.

Just because the VC isn't out as yet doesn't suggest that it won't be out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Just because the VC isn't out as yet doesn't suggest that it won't be out.

We don't know what form the VC will take. They might do it differently this time. It could be a subscription where you don't own the games outright.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, the PS+ model has been a real boon for me, I now have an extensive library of decent titles across the Vita, PS3 and PS4, and while I understand that the subscription model isn't the same as owning them outright it does have the advantage of tying purchases to your account and makes cross-platform ownership a thing.
    Hopefully, in Ninty's case, it might mean that this purchase of OoT for the Switch will be the last time you need to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Super Luigi U is well worth a play. It breaks the NSMB format with it shorter, harder levels that have a 100 second time level. Can be picked up pretty cheap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Len_007

Lads don’t forget Nintendo Land

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Len_007 wrote: »
    Lads don’t forget Nintendo Land

I totally forgot about Nintendo Land.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Super Luigi U is well worth a play. It breaks the NSMB format with it shorter, harder levels that have a 100 second time level. Can be picked up pretty cheap too.

I have a feeling that Super Luigi U, in it's green case form, might be worth a couple of quid in years to come.

NSMBU isn't a cake walk as it is, SLU is insane!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pikmin 3 came out the same year as Last of Us and I'd go so far to say Pikmin 3 is a far better game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Pikmin 3 came out the same year as Last of Us and I'd go so far to say Pikmin 3 is a far better game.

At risk of annoying every gamer on the planet...

I thought The Last of Us was average to above average and annoying in a lot of parts to be honest.

Average combat
    Linear game without direction which was just plain weird.
    Infuriating stealth pieces.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE STORY I hear you roar. Yeah ok the story is good but progressing the ****ing thing was a right pain. Awaits oh you’re just a **** gamer. Sigh.

Give me tomb raider or uncharted over it any day of the week

Awaits stoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

At risk of annoying every gamer on the planet...

I thought The Last of Us was average to above average and annoying in a lot of parts to be honest.

Average combat
    Linear game without direction which was just plain weird.
    Infuriating stealth pieces.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE STORY I hear you roar. Yeah ok the story is good but progressing the ****ing thing was a right pain. Awaits oh you’re just a **** gamer. Sigh.

Give me tomb raider or uncharted over it any day of the week

Awaits stoning.

I've started it 3 times and got fed up with it after a couple of hours each time.

Pikmin 3 is amazing in every way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭Inviere

I have a feeling that Super Luigi U, in it's green case form, might be worth a couple of quid in years to come.

Hopefully. I've a sealed copy of it sitting there :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Inviere wrote: »
    Hopefully. I've a sealed copy of it sitting there :o

Yeah but is it VGA sealed? That's where the big money is! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭Inviere

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Yeah but is it VGA sealed? That's where the big money is! :pac:

I had a look on ebay there to see what sealed copies were getting. There was a VGA graded one! Gas stuff altogether.

That Donkey Kong game on the Nintendoland pack in is probably my favourite example of the WiiU at it's best, just pure joy to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

That Donkey Kong game on the Nintendoland pack in is probably my favourite example of the WiiU at it's best, just pure joy to play.

I prefer the asynchronous multiplayer elements of Mario Chase and Luigi's Ghost Mansion!

Advertisement