Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yeast stopped already?

Options
  • 01-05-2018 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭

So I'm making some wine, followed a simple recipe online which involved fruit, sugar, water, some yeast nutrient and a Camden tablet. Simple stuff. I added the yeast in after the required 24 hour wait and after an hour or so it was foaming away merrily. That was last night, now, when I looked at it this morning the yeast is just sitting in clumps on the top and the foam has disappeared. The yeast I used is below, and whilst it does say that it's low foam, surely there should be something.

https://www.homebrewwest.ie/bulldog-bayanus-yeast-10g-champagne-high-alcohol-6386-p.asp

Anyway, should I add more yeast or will I leave it for a day or two to see what will happen? This is only my second batch of wine so if it's screwed and all I'll lose is the cost of the fruit, and I'll need more sterilising powder, then I'm OK with that but just want to make sure first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

leave it for a few days. theres no way its finished fermenting yet. have you got hydrometer?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

stecleary wrote: »
    leave it for a few days. theres no way its finished fermenting yet. have you got hydrometer?

No hydrometer, I decided i didn't want to know what the % was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Get one, you can't tell what the yeast is doing by staring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

RasTa wrote: »
    Get one, you can't tell what the yeast is doing by staring.

Have one on the way, should be delivered at some point today.

Got home and the brew was fizzing away merrily so no idea what happened to cause no activity. So unless something has gone drastically wrong and i'm now making some sort of fruit based life form, it should be working away with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

yeasts stall all the time, and bubbling is not only a sign of yeast working there's other factors that cause it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement