Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GDPR Compliance - Opt-in or Opt-out

Options
  • 30-04-2018 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice here. I help run a small voluntary organisation which has a substantial mailing list. We planned on sending out an 'opt-out' email but I notice most circulars that I have received lately have leaned towards an opt-in approach. I can't find a definitive answer as to which is required. Does anyone know?
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I'd go with opt-in.
    GDPR wrote:
    “Consent should be given by a clear affirmative act… such as
    by a written statement, including by electronic means, or an
    oral statement. This could include ticking a box when visiting
    an internet website, choosing technical settings for information
    society services or another statement or conduct which clearly
    indicates in this context the data subject’s acceptance of the
    proposed processing of his or her personal data. Silence, preticked
    boxes or inactivity should not therefore constitute
    consent.”
    The UK information commissioner's office considers that (page 23)
    "The key point is that all consent must be opt-in consent – there is no such
    thing as ‘opt-out consent’. Failure to opt out is not consent. You may not
    rely on silence, inactivity, default settings, pre-ticked boxes or your
    general terms and conditions, or seek to take advantage of inertia,
    inattention or default bias in any other way."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Without being funny what does the UK office have to do with GDPR ? They are brexiting. Any advise should be taken from EU sources solely.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jacksn

listermint wrote: »
    Without being funny what does the UK office have to do with GDPR ? They are brexiting. Any advise should be taken from EU sources solely.

Actually you will find that the UK ICO are the most active and informative English speaking resource you will find.

GDPR apples to the UK the same way it applies to Ireland and the EU. Brexit means nothing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The UK still have to comply with GDPR as they are still a member of the EU. What they choose to do subsequent to the (expected?) final Brexit date is up to them, so that advice is solid. I know of a number of companies using the UK guidelines as they are more clearly written and a better template than the Irish effort.

I am sure they do, but as stated i would be taking my information from an EU source or Irish source. Not the UK, they have an active government policy around personal data that conflicts with the EUs direction.

Why you would rely on it in this current moment of flux is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Tabnabs wrote: »
    The UK still have to comply with GDPR as they are still a member of the EU. What they choose to do subsequent to the (expected?) final Brexit date is up to them, so that advice is solid. I know of a number of companies using the UK guidelines as they are more clearly written and a better template than the Irish effort.

It’s even more that that. Even if the UK leaves the EU and decides not to apply GDPR to its citizens, all its companies will still need to be fully GDPR compliant as long as they store databrelated to EU citizen. Given the UK’s economic ties to others European countries, the UK will have many more companies than Ireland requiring advice on GDPR.

I am sure they do, but as stated i would be taking my information from an EU source or Irish source. Not the UK, they have an active government policy around personal data that conflicts with the EUs direction.

GDPR is absorbed into UK law on the 25th May. They would have to repeal any GDPR legislation post-brexit which they are not going to do.

The UK are the most pro-active English speaking country, i.e better than us with GDPR awareness and they have a vast array of online resources for GDPR.

Germany are also very pro-active but all their resources will be in German.

jacksn wrote: »
    GDPR is absorbed into UK law on the 25th May. They would have to repeal any GDPR legislation post-brexit which they are not going to do.

The UK are the most pro-active English speaking country, i.e better than us with GDPR awareness and they have a vast array of online resources for GDPR.

Germany are also very pro-active but all their resources will be in German.

That is abudently hilarious. If you follow anything brexit related you would see the running theme of taking back control.

Im glad you have an insight into the future intentions of the British Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Umm so no real consensus here?

Im glad you have an insight into the future intentions of the British Government.

no i don't, but i have been following UK implementation of GDPR which is what this topic is related to.

If the UK were to repeal GDPR as an act of defiance against the EU postBrexit, that it would means their business industry would have considerable difficulties carrying out businesses with their closest neighbours and trading partners.

• Advertisement

Id go with Opt in because its the most logical approach for compliance. Not using the UK as a guideline.

yellow hen wrote: »
    Umm so no real consensus here?

Seems like the thread is sidetracking to what the best source of information is and this is where the lack of consensus is.

As per your question, GDPR is clear in that consent cannot be assumed and has to be clearly expressed. So in situations where you need consent (which isn’t all situations), you need people to opt-in to be compliant. Opt-out won’t work.

no i don't, but i have been following UK implementation of GDPR which is what this topic is related to.

If the UK were to repeal GDPR as an act of defiance against the EU postBrexit, that it would means their business industry would have considerable difficulties carrying out businesses with their closest neighbours and trading partners.

Evidently you have not been following the negotiations then (at all)

but thats for the other thread brexit related. I have replied to the OP.

I suggest you polish up on Brexit related activities if you are dealing with the UK in terms of trade.

Evidently you have not been following the negotiations then (at all)

but thats for the other thread brexit related. I have replied to the OP.

I suggest you polish up on Brexit related activities if you are dealing with the UK in terms of trade.

Thanks for the tip. Might I suggest that you also consider researching GDPR and The UK and the EU which is the actual law at this moment in time come 25th May instead of theories that might not (and won't) happen.

Thanks for the tip. Might I suggest that you also consider researching GDPR and The UK and the EU which is the actual law at this moment in time come 25th May instead of theories that might not (and won't) happen.

Fully versed in GDPR compliance, Never said the UK dont have to comply. I have said and continue to say do not rely on the UK for information as they are in flux and anything can happen.

Im see you dont have a clue about negotiations. Its frightfully common in Irish business. Zero contingency. Those that are planning will come out ahead. Rather than those that seem to think its business as usual and will continue that way.....

OP is asking a question about GDPR.

Ireland and UK are 2 English speaking countries in EU, both are enacting GDPR into their laws. I'm sure OP would rather resources in English than German.

OP was suggested an ICO resource, I seconded that the UK ICO is miles ahead of the Irish DPO in terms of resources for GDPR. At this moment in time and up to 25th May, the ICO is the best resource for GDPR, which is an opinion.

You continue to post about Brexit negotiations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Definitely opt in, you need explicit consent - if someone disregards an email you cant presume them to be opting in.

What does anyone know is the situation with a sign in sheet? For example a guest arriving at a business or signing the kids in at creche, signing an attendance sheet at a class or a condolence book at a funeral? Is it a GDPR breach by being able to see who has previously signed it?

Balmed Out wrote: »
    What does anyone know is the situation with a sign in sheet? For example a guest arriving at a business or signing the kids in at creche, signing an attendance sheet at a class or a condolence book at a funeral? Is it a GDPR breach by being able to see who has previously signed it?

I’d say crèche and class attendance sheet don’t require consent. Condolences book is probably different.

A key thing to remember is that while when required consent needs to be clearly expressed (opt-in) and can’t be assumed (op-out), it is not always required to process personal data. There are many legitimate grounds to process data without consent under GDPR (I won’t go into details and grey areas here but a clear and obvious exemple would be that if you close an account with a bank they don’t need your consent to retain you identification details and transaction history for many years, as it is a legal requirement as part of the service you contracted with them to retain that information).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Bob24 wrote: »
    I’d say crèche and class attendance sheet don’t require consent. Condolences book is probably different.

A key thing to remember is that while when required consent needs to be clearly expressed (opt-in) and can’t be assumed (op-out), it is not always required to process personal data. There are many legitimate grounds to process data without consent under GDPR (I won’t go into details and grey areas here but a clear and obvious exemple would be that if you close an account with a bank they don’t need your consent to retain you identification details and transaction history for many years, as it is a legal requirement as part of the service you contracted with them to retain that information).

Does the data need to be protected regardless of whether its going to be processed in any way. For example I sign in when I go to a local play area with my kids. There is an annual fee and I think the sign in is just to dissuade people who aren't joined and I presume these sign in sheets are kept for a while and discarded without anything being processed. I can however see on the sheet all others who have signed in over the last few days. Would this now be considered a data protection breach?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I used that because I was in a hurry and it was the first authoritative link I came across explaining why opt-in should be used. If you'd care to go off and find a more "appropriate" link work away

• Advertisement

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Does the data need to be protected regardless of whether its going to be processed in any way. For example I sign in when I go to a local play area with my kids. There is an annual fee and I think the sign in is just to dissuade people who aren't joined and I presume these sign in sheets are kept for a while and discarded without anything being processed. I can however see on the sheet all others who have signed in over the last few days. Would this now be considered a data protection breach?

Yes protecting the data (“privacy by design”) and also informing people on which you hold data in case of a breach are required under all circumpstances.

So my understanding is that while the play area probably have the right to collect attendance data without consent as long as you are bringing your kid there and using their services, in theory they should never make that list visible to anyone who doesn’t need to see it, have measures in place to make sure it never happens, and inform all parents in case those mesures fail and someone who is unauthorised is able to see the list.

A practical exemple if my understanding is correct: they should never let you see the full list of names for children who are attending (unless you volunteer with them as a supervisor and need the list as part of the tasks you need to carry-out), and if that happens they should notify all other parents that their child’s name was exposed to an unauthorised party.

Now it will be fairly hard to implement properly for small entities and I don’t know how it will be enforced in practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Opt-in makes the most sense for an organisation. Do you really want to annoy people by having an opt-out and them not having replied? Annoying people can result in less good faith and loss of clients.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

hi all
    kind of related but myself and another guy are collecting money from people affected by the tracker scandal to get legal counsel. we are in contact by email and will be collecting money (through bank transfer soon). as we're not a business, will the gdpr affect this??

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Question (not asking for legal guidance): IF that list was visible and someone took a photo with their phone and were to give the names to another creche - is that a data breach or data theft? is the creche liable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Looking for some advice here. I help run a small voluntary organisation which has a substantial mailing list. We planned on sending out an 'opt-out' email but I notice most circulars that I have received lately have leaned towards an opt-in approach. I can't find a definitive answer as to which is required. Does anyone know?
    thanks.
    Your organisation needed to contact everyone that you hold personal data on. this will included those on the mailing list
    plus anyone who works (paid / unpaid)
    plus thoes who participates in any activity.
    Plus if you have suppliers which are not companies, they come under this too.

The mailing list
    Your email header should make it clear that their data will be deleted if they do not opt in. Make to clear that what types of information the organisation will hold, how their information will held and used.
    If the mailing list has economic value look at getting a pre-addressed Freepost envelope sent out in the post or a print and post licence, I would suggest to send out a blank form which will enable the data subject to update their information.
    You could agree internally that after 2 reminders if you don't get consent for the mailing list you deleted the data, but it would be best to start with a new blank file and build from the returned opt-ins.

Non company supplier
    Individuals who are suppliers are covered too so their email should explain how they will be removed from the supplier list. You don't have to delete historical data invoices etc as these mostly covered being business records (< revenue and charity guidelines apply) you but should delete data you don't need eg bank details etc once they are no longer suppliers.

Workers/participant
    This needs to be issued in new term of the workers/service agreement with special care to explain sensitive data handling. If they don't sign they can't be associated with your organisation and you should seek legal advice as to what you should keep and for how long.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Yes protecting the data (“privacy by design”) and also informing people on which you hold data in case of a breach are required under all circumpstances.

So my understanding is that while the play area probably have the right to collect attendance data without consent as long as you are bringing your kid there and using their services, in theory they should never make that list visible to anyone who doesn’t need to see it, have measures in place to make sure it never happens, and inform all parents in case those mesures fail and someone who is unauthorised is able to see the list.

A practical exemple if my understanding is correct: they should never let you see the full list of names for children who are attending (unless you volunteer with them as a supervisor and need the list as part of the tasks you need to carry-out), and if that happens they should notify all other parents that their child’s name was exposed to an unauthorised party.

Now it will be fairly hard to implement properly for small entities and I don’t know how it will be enforced in practice.

The member consents on sign up by signing in.
    An easy way for small organisation is to inform the members that their data on sign in sheets will be available to the other participants for the duration of the sign up as most will know each other by sight, and it's part of the social element for the club.
    The best way to design in the privacy is to give everyone (adult and child) a numbered membership card and the number is used for sign in With the name and number being linked by the authorised parties only

Buttercake wrote: »
    Question (not asking for legal guidance): IF that list was visible and someone took a photo with their phone and were to give the names to another creche - is that a data breach or data theft? is the creche liable?
    IMO
    Crèche 1 yes to the breach as it's a list of personal data, and by right the crèche employee should be checking the children in off a list they hold and turn face down or cover if on a table.
    For the photo taker yes to the breach, and theft as it's a list of personal data that they have no right to hold.
    Crèche 2 yes to the breach as it's a list of personal data that they have no right to hold

Buttercake wrote: »

If there is an intend to “steal” clients from the crèche and the person who takes the picture is not authorised, it’s both a data breach and data theft.

Under GDPR the crèche will be liable for the data breach as they have a duty to protect private data of their clients.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

The following from the eu website, would strongly suggest that explicit acceptance should be obtained, rather than depending on implicit acceptance (my 2 cents are that I would not be happy if I was on your list and you sent me something where I had to work to have my details removed)

https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/data-protection/reform/rules-business-and-organisations/dealing-citizens/are-there-restrictions-use-automated-decision-making_en

• Advertisement

thanks.

Btw maybe a stupid question but didn’t you gather consent from the people in your mailing list in the past for the purpose of sending them these emails? If you had them provide explicit consent in the past you don’t need to do it again just because GDPR is comming into enforcement. GDPR doesn’t void previous consent as long as it was given explicitly and it’s only if you didn’t ask for explicit consent before that you need to do it now.

Advertisement