Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood Chip

Options
  • 29-04-2018 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I recently had some trees cleared on farmland and I'm in the process of cutting them up. I also purchased a wood chipper to shred up the thinner stuff.

I'm curious as to wood chip and the re-sell value of it but it's something which I don't know a great deal about. Is it advisable to dry wood chip or can wood chip be sold freshly chipped? I assume it will compost quicker so would be good for gardening purposes - on average how long does it tend to take to compost?

In addition, I've read the wood chip can be used for animal bedding but once again should this wood chip be dried out first?

I don't really want to invest in drying woodchip, so I'm curious as to what freshly chipped wood chip can be used for.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rich.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Floody Boreland

Will quickly go moldy if not dried. I just dump(compost) it.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Blackcurrants

The time it takes to compost will depend on how much bark and leaf matter is in the chip. The ratio of carbon-rich:Nitrogen-rich material is what makes for fast or slow decomposition.
    Woodchip needs to be dry to store stably otherwise you'll get mold and heating if stored in a heap. Dry chip is worth a lot more than a wet version or the same chip as it can be stored stably as well as being used for heating. You can dry it to below 35%(stable to store) Moisture content (mc) if the whole material is stacked in a sunny airy place during the summer months.
    I'd chip it and stick it in a big heap(if there is the right ratio) and wait a couple of years for it to turn into amazing mulch for the garden

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

RichCRX wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I recently had some trees cleared on farmland and I'm in the process of cutting them up. I also purchased a wood chipper to shred up the thinner stuff.

I'm curious as to wood chip and the re-sell value of it but it's something which I don't know a great deal about. Is it advisable to dry wood chip or can wood chip be sold freshly chipped? I assume it will compost quicker so would be good for gardening purposes - on average how long does it tend to take to compost?

In addition, I've read the wood chip can be used for animal bedding but once again should this wood chip be dried out first?

I don't really want to invest in drying woodchip, so I'm curious as to what freshly chipped wood chip can be used for.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rich.
    Any recommendations on a Wood chipper. Have about 25 spruce/synamore trees that are felled/going to be and was wondering would it be better to buy or rent a wood chipper ?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

I don't know of any wood chipper for hire, for the same reason you don't see chainsaws for rent. Fellas have been known to get pulled in...i kid you not.
    Check your county council for their rules re burning it. Last time i checked, our coco allowed burning provided it was agricultural clearing of land.
    If you have a track machine or jcb, you can dig a hole in some idle corner and backfill with the branches, crush with the bucket and cover with soil again.
    If your heart is set on mulching it, maybe try local tree surgeons. They might also have a pile in the yard that they'd be happy to get rid off for a pittance. Worth a phone call.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Blackcurrants

Google "wood chipping contractors" should be someone who'll service your area, or tree surgeons or the like. Definitely worth getting in a bigger machine than renting something small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭accidental forester

Don't rule out your local tool hire outlet. Ours here has 6" diesel Timberwolfs available. Ring around, you might find something similar nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Don't rule out your local tool hire outlet. Ours here has 6" diesel Timberwolfs available. Ring around, you might find something similar nearby.
    Yep. My local tool hire place has a one. Figure i will rent one before i look at buying one.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Advertisement