Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

extra income for the summer ideas

Options
  • 29-04-2018 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

hi all just looking at extra income for the summer and looked at the superintending for exams option and decided it is not worth it...but this got me to research other options for teachers and the list was pretty short . I do think there will be a need to diversify your income as the current pension scheme is very poor ..... especially if you are a late entrant.

I am researching several options and would be interested in hearing suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 userhere

TEFL/ESL

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Teacher0101

TEFL.

Work abroad for summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

TEFL is poorly paid. When I did it, admittedly 8 years ago, it was €20 per hour for 3 hours each morning - i.e. 15 hours per week. You could do activities in the afternoon but it's not much extra money. And then you're taxed on it. You're also only guaranteed a couple of weeks work, usually in July. They might keep you on for a week or two more depending on how many classes they have, but you won't know for sure until the end of the month (usually). The one thing TEFL was really good for was giving ideas for teaching a language in secondary school. It could be well worth the time of the PDST people to do a similar booklet of CLT activities for secondary school language classes.

The superintendent job pays more than it, and it would want to because if you mess up you could have the tabloids following you and putting your face on the front page like happened that teacher in Louth in 2009. I'm kept busy proofreading academic theses throughout the year (especially around submission deadlines) so if you've a solid grasp of grammar you could try that, or just proofreading generally.

As has been said here already, teaching is a great job if you've a trust fund!

Yeah, it's kinda hard to **** up the superintending job, and you only really get €800 from it after tax. TEFL is more tiring than normal teaching.

a job in a bar or work abroad would be more fun to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I have posted before on net pay on superintending....I got around €950 for 7 days plus collecting the box. I am not too far from my home so mileage isn’t huge.

I reckon I will get less this year because of mileage cuts so say €900.

It’s definitely worth doing for me for 7 days but not any longer because childcare becomes an issue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

Some Special Schools are obliged to run a summer school for the month of July. It might be an idea to contact them and ask if they are looking for staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

From memory, I think the Pension levy is gone from exam work from this year? Can anyone recall that?

There's also an increase in marking rates, 1% I think, they're crying out for people to mark exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

From memory, I think the Pension levy is gone from exam work from this year? Can anyone recall that?

There's also an increase in marking rates, 1% I think, they're crying out for people to mark exams.

Pension levy isn’t gone until 1/1/2019. The mileage rate has also been cut this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

ccazza wrote: »
    Pension levy isn’t gone until 1/1/2019. The mileage rate has also been cut this year.

my usc is down 0.25%!!

I'd rather cut grass with scissors than mark papers.

depends on your subject, but not again for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I'd rather cut grass with scissors than mark papers.

depends on your subject, but not again for me.

Have you done it; if so, why wouldn't you do it again? (I'm doing it for the first time this summer, primarily, if not entirely, to get a better grasp of the marking aspect of my subject)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Liberal_irony

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Have you done it; if so, why wouldn't you do it again? (I'm doing it for the first time this summer, primarily, if not entirely, to get a better grasp of the marking aspect of my subject)

High workload isn't worth the pay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

hmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Depending on the subject, it’s fine. It’s not ‘worth it’ for the money entirely but the money isn’t that bad either. I’m on full hours and always made about 2 grand net. A teacher who can turn their nose up at 2 grand for 3 weeks work must be doing well for themselves. That’s not far from my net pay during the year and I’m only the pre-2011 scale.

it might be 2 grand, probably not if its your first year. Depends a lot on your subject too. Science, Maths, Tech etc is a lot different to correcting English or history which takes a lot longer. I spent good 12 hour days on average, 6 days a week for 1,860.

So that's about €8 an hour. Your teenager that is sitting in front of you in class is probably earning more in the summer, so yeah, I'd turn my nose up to it.

If it's Maths, and you get up early and fly thought a load of papers every day, it's worth it.

Advertisement