Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi B8 timing belt change

Options
  • 28-04-2018 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

Hi just a question

The timing belt on my 09 A4 2.0 B8 was done at 50,000 miles, early, cause dealership was doing a belt deal, it's now 35,000 miles and 5 and half years later, wonder is it due changed again? The 5 year part is worrying but only 35,000 done since that belt, not sure whether to wait another while or not. Car has 85,000 miles.

Was speaking to someone who works in a dealership servicing them cars and he said time enough to wait until around 100,000 miles because the genuine belt that was put on the car 5 and half years ago are very reliable.

In 2 minds whether to wait another 6 months or so, or get it done.

Any advice welcome

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

in my opinion go with manufacturers recomendations which has a 5 year limit
    The belts break down over time regardless of mileage and the cost of a break is huge

Go for the peace of mind route!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭buzzing147

Ok cheers for advice

Any recommendations on best brand of timing belt kit? Nearly 500 to get done at main dealer, wonder what brand of belt they use?

buzzing147 wrote: »
    Any recommendations on best brand of timing belt kit? Nearly 500 to get done at main dealer, wonder what brand of belt they use?

I bet the main dealer will give a 2 year warranty over the belt while your indy wouldnt?
    My own car is going for a next month in the main dealers,
    was 30e cheaper than the indys were coming in it with the warranty 450e

I bet the main dealer will give a 2 year warranty over the belt while your indy wouldnt?
    My own car is going for a next month in the main dealers,
    was 30e cheaper than the indys were coming in it with the warranty 450e

True. Theres a vw dealer near me, wonder are they using same type of belts? It was done previously by vw dealer. Good bit cheaper than Audi dealer and saves an extra hour journey. Vw is charging 370, they have a timing belt deal going on at the moment.

• Advertisement

True. Theres a vw dealer near me, wonder are they using same type of belts? It was done previously by vw dealer. Good bit cheaper than Audi dealer and saves an extra hour journey. Vw is charging 370, they have a timing belt deal going on at the moment.

Really ?any link to that?
    They said mine would be 450,golf gti

Really ?any link to that?
    They said mine would be 450,golf gti

No link I just rang in, said to them it was done 5 and half years ago by same garage and they were doing a deal that time, the guy replied yea we're still doing that deal, He quoted 376 for my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

370 in a vw dealer is cheap

Ive a 09a4 that i got done in a vw dealer for 465 last year
    Betl kit and water pump

9935452 wrote: »
    370 in a vw dealer is cheap

Ive a 09a4 that i got done in a vw dealer for 465 last year
    Betl kit and water pump

Yea 376 I was quoted, 09 a4 also

Yea 376 I was quoted, 09 a4 also

In context www.timingbelts.ie quote 370

• Advertisement

Hi, just wondering, I've booked my Audi into local VW dealer for full service and new timing belt water pump, got a better deal than Audi dealer, and the Audi dealer is a 2 hours drive away, wondering are all the parts, ie belt water pump filters etc the same quality or maybe the same make as what the audi dealer would fit?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Be the exact same different part number maybe if that and OEM quality so you will have no problems

crasy dash wrote: »
    Be the exact same different part number maybe if that and OEM quality so you will have no problems

Ok cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Unlikely that they'll even be a different part number. In most cases they'll be the same part in the same box. Most VW group parts are in multi branded boxes with all the group logos on them.

Unlikely that they'll even be a different part number. In most cases they'll be the same part in the same box. Most VW group parts are in multi branded boxes with all the group logos on them.

So basically you're paying a lot extra for exact same parts and oil etc just because you're getting it done in Audi dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭crasy dash

So basically you're paying a lot extra for exact same parts and oil etc just because you're getting it done in Audi dealer?

Pretty much that's it ,always pays to price around as the VW dealer is nearly the same price as an independent garage for certain jobs.

Yeah, well it's clean cut with service items and I suppose one of the beautys of VAG stuff. But it's only the same way as you paid more for your A4 because it's an A4, you could have got it cheaper but it'd be called an Octavia.

Anyone ever come across this, had car finally in this morning for timing belt and full service, dealer rang in afternoon to say technician assigned to do my car got sick so can't do it now until tomoro? Surprised considering waiting 3 weeks and main dealer :(

Sounds like they were overbooked and couldn't get it in and out in the same day, that'd tie in with the 3 week lead time too. Work like that usually wouldn't be assigned to a technician more than an hour or two in advance.

Either that or they genuinely had a technician or two out of action for whatever reason and they got caught out.

Sounds like they were overbooked and couldn't get it in and out in the same day, that'd tie in with the 3 week lead time too. Work like that usually wouldn't be assigned to a technician more than an hour or two in advance.

Either that or they genuinely had a technician or two out of action for whatever reason and they got caught out.

cheers mate, was afraid they made a mistake in timing belt and something went wrong lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

cheers mate, was afraid they made a mistake in timing belt and something went wrong lol

They're just checking your tyres to see why they won't stay identical on each side :pac:

tcawley29 wrote: »
    They're just checking your tyres to see why they won't stay identical on each side :pac:

lol yup, maybe they have a glass hammer and are keeping the writing on the front tyre alligned to the writing on rear tyre :D

hopefully theyre installing a new engine after a timing belt mistake:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

lol yup, maybe they have a glass hammer and are keeping the writing on the front tyre alligned to the writing on rear tyre :D

hopefully theyre installing a new engine after a timing belt mistake:)

Sorry I just couldn't help myself :)

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Sorry I just couldn't help myself :)

:) finding the tyre writing funny myself at this stage

guess never owned 4 identical tyres before and got confused at side view:pac:

Got timing belt done, anyone know if the fan belt is viewable in the Audi b8 engines, thought looked like a cover was missing? Maybe i didn't notice fanbelt before :)

Got timing belt done, anyone know if the fan belt is viewable in the Audi b8 engines, thought looked like a cover was missing? Maybe i didn't notice fanbelt before :)

Yeah you can see the fanbelt on the car.
    There are no covers on mine

9935452 wrote: »
    Yeah you can see the fanbelt on the car.
    There are no covers on mine

Cheers, after getting that kinda job done just looked as if something was missing:)

Advertisement