Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Natal Home Nursing

Options
  • 28-04-2018 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    Unlike the last time I'd like to make the most of my maternity benefits even though I'm going public. I'll claim for the eye test/bra etc etc. However Laya also offer up to €1200 for Post natal home nursing if Hospital stay less than 3 nights.

Has anyone availed of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dizzymiss

Bra? Eye test? Etc??? Do tell?

Also can you claim on your maternity health insurance even if you're going public?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

dizzymiss wrote: »
    Bra? Eye test? Etc??? Do tell?

Also can you claim on your maternity health insurance even if you're going public?

Apparently so. My laya package has up to 275 available to be claimed for various pregnancy related stuff. Includes one eye test, one dentists check up, one bra (up to 39e) and lots of other stuff like dietician, acupuncture etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

What package are you on? Just out of curiosity! I hope I didn’t let these things go by me unclaimed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Just fyi for anyone reading without health insurance, dental check and eye test also covered by prsi as far as I know..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hi everyone,
    Unlike the last time I'd like to make the most of my maternity benefits even though I'm going public. I'll claim for the eye test/bra etc etc. However Laya also offer up to €1200 for Post natal home nursing if Hospital stay less than 3 nights.

Has anyone availed of this?

The eye test etc you can defo claim for I think it’s within the last 3 months of pregnancy. It’s considered a day to day benefit.
    Don’t know if you can claim the post natal nursing if public as they wouldn’t be paying for your stay in hospital if public. Ring them though they are super to deal with when you eventually get through! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Some packages also cover a cost of a cleaner for your house for 1/2 visits, and parking/accommodation costs at the hospital for your partner while you are there ;-)

shesty wrote: »
    Some packages also cover a cost of a cleaner for your house for 1/2 visits, and parking/accommodation costs at the hospital for your partner while you are there ;-)

my one with irish life does and if you don’t get cleaner you get €120!
    But the best waa giving me €100 back for car seats on my som’s policy!!!

Vhi have a thing now where you get dinners from donnybrook fair yum yum :)

Some laya policies give you money back from harmony test but vhi still not covering that :(

Oh my goodness. How did I not know this??? I'm with Irish Life too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It's in the small print, naturally!But actually, after I had my first, I rang them with a query (because we went semi private so we used the policy) and the guy on the phone actually went through every bit of the maternity policy to tell me everything we were entitled to, which was nice of him!I've known to look since then ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Stellasmurf

Can you only claim back if going private? I’m hoping to go on the domino scheme but my laya insurance covers up to €1600 for two nights post natal home nursing if hospital stay is less than 3 nights, as well as €3500 maternity inpatient hospital cover.

• Advertisement

I don’t know how true it is, but someone said on another thread the other day that if you’re public but have private insurance, you can request a private room in the hospital when you’re being admitted. Obviously if there’s a pp in the house, they’d get priority, but I’d imagine if there’s a vacant private room the hospital would be glad of the revenue?
    But maybe that’s not correct, I’ve no personal experience, I’ve used my full three nights inpt after all my deliveries!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

jlm29 wrote: »
    I don’t know how true it is, but someone said on another thread the other day that if you’re public but have private insurance, you can request a private room in the hospital when you’re being admitted. Obviously if there’s a pp in the house, they’d get priority, but I’d imagine if there’s a vacant private room the hospital would be glad of the revenue?
    But maybe that’s not correct, I’ve no personal experience, I’ve used my full three nights inpt after all my deliveries!

You can ask/request the private room but the chances of actually getting it would be very slim. There are a limited number of private rooms and at times some private patients don't get them.

Blingy wrote: »

You can ask/request the private room but the chances of actually getting it would be very slim. There are a limited number of private rooms and at times some private patients don't get them.

Oh I know that’s the case in a lot of hospitals, especially in cities. In some of the smaller hospitals around the country though there’d be a reasonable enough chance of coming across an empty private room I think!

I’d imagine if there’s a vacant private room the hospital would be glad of the revenue?

Jlm you would think that! But I had empty rooms either side of me last august in Rotunda ! They told me when I was signing forms at 12 weeks that only private patients get private rooms end of story! Great for me as I got soooo much help from midwives especially with feeding. They didn’t even have a specific time for me going home!!
    Anyway on a completely unrelated manner we are finally coming near the end of our house renovations and price of everything building related is a scandal I don’t begrudge my consultant 1cent of his fee. He was much cheaper than getting our house painted in cash!!! A big joke!

Can you only claim back if going private? I’m hoping to go on the domino scheme but my laya insurance covers up to €1600 for two nights post natal home nursing if hospital stay is less than 3 nights, as well as €3500 maternity inpatient hospital cover.

I’ve a query in about this at the moment with Laya

I would feel it should be covered as it’s a separate benefit in the maternity section in my policy

(A) specifies private/semiprivate

(B) and (C) are the home nursing and neither of them mention the type of care received

Can anyone clarify on (A) there’s a max amount of 3500 for a private bed. Say you request it in hospital (even though you are public), how do you know if you are exceeding that max?

I don't think you can be on the Domino Scheme and then go semi-private on admission.......well I know in the Rotunda that they don't allow semi-private/private patients to enrol in the Domino scheme (I imagine that's purely for financial/admin reasons, and nothing else).

Millem, as a construction industry professional, I can assure you prices are rising disgracefully (builders like profits, and anyone who thinks otherwise needs their head examined!!)....I wouldn't begrudge a consultant their fee either but the disgrace is they are using public hospital facilities to run their business.....if you want to go private really you should be going to a completely separate, wholly private maternity hospital (like Mount Carmel was) and not giving birth in delivery rooms also used by public patients.
    But that's an endemic problem throughout the system and not for discussion here!!!!
    As regards insurance, if it covers cleaners or the cost of them, I cannot recommend that service enough, especially if it's your first.It's AMAZING!!!!!

shesty wrote: »

Millem, as a construction industry professional, I can assure you prices are rising disgracefully (builders like profits, and anyone who thinks otherwise needs their head examined!!)....I wouldn't begrudge a consultant their fee either but the disgrace is they are using public hospital facilities to run their business.....if you want to go private really you should be going to a completely separate, wholly private maternity hospital (like Mount Carmel was) and not giving birth in delivery rooms also used by public patients.
    But that's an endemic problem throughout the system and not for discussion here!!!!
    As regards insurance, if it covers cleaners or the cost of them, I cannot recommend that service enough, especially if it's your first.It's AMAZING!!!!!

That's well and good if you live in Dublin. There are no private maternity hospitals in Galway. In fact, the maternity is basically a reinforced prefab. Awful state.

I’ve a query in about this at the moment with Laya

I would feel it should be covered as it’s a separate benefit in the maternity section in my policy

(A) specifies private/semiprivate

(B) and (C) are the home nursing and neither of them mention the type of care received

Can anyone clarify on (A) there’s a max amount of 3500 for a private bed. Say you request it in hospital (even though you are public), how do you know if you are exceeding that max?
    There is a price list. If you stay 3 nights in a private hospital the €3500 will be exceeded as you will get billed for a paediatrician, pathology and I can’t remember what else.....
    The €3500 covers the bill not just room.
    I was with laya up until I was say 8 weeks pregnant so had that €3500 and them swapped to vhi who don’t put a figure on it!! But because I had laya vhi covered the €3500. You might pay maybe €200 or something?? I got print out of charges in September but can’t remember.

Laya, Irish Life and Vhi all operate a bit differently for maternity eg laya and irish life pay out straight away for consultant fees. vhi will only pay out after the birth! laya and vhi see consultant fees as a day to day benefit so no wait time. Irish life will have a wait time and not give higher benefit from lower policy straight away!

I find Laya excellent. Did you look at wording in handbook?
    I read the wording in vhi and I don’t think you can claim it unless they are paying for your “confinement”.

Millem wrote: »
    There is a price list. If you stay 3 nights in a private hospital the €3500 will be exceeded as you will get billed for a paediatrician, pathology and I can’t remember what else.....
    The €3500 covers the bill not just room.
    I was with laya up until I was say 8 weeks pregnant so had that €3500 and them swapped to vhi who don’t put a figure on it!! But because I had laya vhi covered the €3500. You might pay maybe €200 or something?? I got print out of charges in September but can’t remember.

Laya, Irish Life and Vhi all operate a bit differently for maternity eg laya and irish life pay out straight away for consultant fees. vhi will only pay out after the birth! laya and vhi see consultant fees as a day to day benefit so no wait time. Irish life will have a wait time and not give higher benefit from lower policy straight away!

I find Laya excellent. Did you look at wording in handbook?
    I read the wording in vhi and I don’t think you can claim it unless they are paying for your “confinement”.

Yeah the wording in the booklet suggests I won’t be able to claim for the private bed while public (hadn’t really expected to be able to be fair!)

But the wording on the home nursing doesnt have anything about needing to be private to avail of it. If that’s the case I’d be happy to get out of hospital ASAP if I’m let and have someone in at home to check us over instead

Yeah the wording in the booklet suggests I won’t be able to claim for the private bed while public (hadn’t really expected to be able to be fair!)

But the wording on the home nursing doesnt have anything about needing to be private to avail of it. If that’s the case I’d be happy to get out of hospital ASAP if I’m let and have someone in at home to check us over instead

absolutely claim what you can!!
    I used to be with laya and this is what it says in my old booklet
    “The post natal home nursing benefit is paid in lieu of the hospital delivery and homebirth benefits payable on your scheme.”

To me I would read that like vhi, but if you get them to agree to it great...all calls are recorded! email yourself straight away with time and person’s name! Even better do a live chat and the conversation transcipt is emailed to you ;)

• Advertisement

absolutely claim what you can!!
    I used to be with laya and this is what it says in my old booklet
    “The post natal home nursing benefit is paid in lieu of the hospital delivery and homebirth benefits payable on your scheme.”

To me I would read that like vhi, but if you get them to agree to it great...all calls are recorded! email yourself straight away with time and person’s name! Even better do a live chat and the conversation transcipt is emailed to you ;)

Found that now in a different spot to where the benefit is described boo. But does payment in lieu not mean that its payment instead of the hospital delivery/homebirth stuff?

So like a developer used to be able to make a payment in lieu of building social housing?

Here I could get payment for home nursing in lieu of claiming for private cover?

It's definitely public for me, don't have the money to spare for private cover since health insurance doesn't cover it

Found that now in a different spot to where the benefit is described boo. But does payment in lieu not mean that its payment instead of the hospital delivery/homebirth stuff?

So like a developer used to be able to make a payment in lieu of building social housing?

Here I could get payment for home nursing in lieu of claiming for private cover?

It's definitely public for me, don't have the money to spare for private cover since health insurance doesn't cover it

gosh I was reading it as “instead of”?

They won’t be paying for public bed so you don’t have a claim? anyway try it!!

Now the other thing you couls do is try and switch to semi p near the end? After all scans are done so only €750....laya will give you maybe €400 depending on your plan? Then tou could defo claim?

You get 20% back in tax on med 1 of the €350?

gosh I was reading it as “instead of”?

They won’t be paying for public bed so you don’t have a claim? anyway try it!!

Now the other thing you couls do is try and switch to semi p near the end? After all scans are done so only €750....laya will give you maybe €400 depending on your plan? Then tou could defo claim?

You get 20% back in tax on med 1 of the €350?

Thats definitely a possibility, we don't have a few grand lying around unfortunately! And if we did, it would probably be spent lol

Edit: Read wrong darn it. Have to wait and see what they say

Thats definitely a possibility, we don't have a few grand lying around unfortunately! And if we did, it would probably be spent lol

Edit: Read wrong darn it. Have to wait and see what they say

They might cover it! Fingers crossed ;)

dizzymiss wrote: »
    That's well and good if you live in Dublin. There are no private maternity hospitals in Galway. In fact, the maternity is basically a reinforced prefab. Awful state.

Oh there are none in Dublin either (to my knowledge)I'm just saying if the system were set up properly, you would be a private patient in a private hospital, or a public patient in a fully public hospital....not with each service using shared facilities.But it's a problem throughout the health system, not just maternity.

Laya have confirmed that both the home nursing and the pre and post natal package can be claimed if you go public!!

Definitely going to try and avail of that and get out of hospital earlier

Laya have confirmed that both the home nursing and the pre and post natal package can be claimed if you go public!!

amazing!! happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

What does it actually mean? Someone coming out to give you a check up or something else? I’m also with Laya so interested to see what’s on offer. Thanks.

Advertisement