Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to start?! Cosmetic/construction/consult someone? Who!

Options
  • 28-04-2018 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hi all

I live in a 2 bed ex council semi d in dublin.
    Typical 1930s/1940s build with the parlour room at the front and 2 beds and a small bathroom now upstairs.

There is so much to be done and everything costa a fprtune. We can't decide to paint over the cracks or just do one big renovation with knocking existing extension and building a new one.

We looked at getting the upstairs doors x 3 done. Oak doors and architrave.

To do this, the doors work out at 350 each but...
    Stripping existing frame means taking out 8 inch nails. Heavy removal and remastering of all rooms. Which means replacing the interiors of each room and removing the tiles in the bathroom.
    The banister on the stairs has to go for some mental reason so there's a new one of them needed.the door to the hall is off size so that will cost xxx and because that needs to be ripped out, a bit of the wall needs to go so that means reflooring the downstairs.

It just never ends. I can't find a job that can be done from start to finish and close off a room and say that's complete. Even at the minute, the sitting room is the parlour and back knocked together into a L shape and is very disfunctional.

Oh yeah, one of the doors upstairs is champered. I was out of my depth at that stage and didn't even ask what that meant. I think it means it is at an angle. So more money.

What the he'll do i do? Where do i start? Anyone got a can of petrol?

Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭budhabob

Based on the above, I think you need to take a step back and prioritise what you want.

Your post reads (and I mean no disrespect) a little confused, jumping from room to room. So if I were you, I'd take a step back and reassess:
    1. What would make the house more comfortable / liveable?
    2. What are need to haves (not nice to haves) - would the upstairs doors be on this list in hindsight?
    3. Then take it down a level, by floor or room maybe.

When you start thinking about it like that, you then start to quickly realise your priorities, and at least then if you meet with an Architect you can explain your position, your needs, and not have it all dictated.

Advertisement