Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N.I. bank account for moving to London?

Options
  • 28-04-2018 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

I am moving to London in June to start a new job. A few questions, and hopefully you can help me.

I'm currently in Dublin. Would it be a good idea to go up North to open a bank account, say with Ulster Bank or First Trust? Is a bank account in N.I. the same as one in London for all intents and purposes when it comes to giving one to my new employer to receive my salary (would still all be domestic payments into my account, right?) or are there specific benefits to actually opening up one in London instead as soon as I get there? I think I would like to have one open first, if the Northern Irish account idea is worthwhile, just to be one step ahead.

And, once I have a bank account open, do you then suggest applying for the National Insurance Number? I guess I will get the account open, then change address to my brother's address in London, and get a bank statement sent there, and use that as my proof of address for the National Insurance interview.

If anyone has any tips when it comes to the National Insurance Number interview I'd much appreciate it. Like, would that bank statement be accepted as proof of address? Do I need anything additional (besides my passport, Irish national identity card, etc.)? Does the interview have to be near to where the brother's address is?

Thank you all!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

I wouldn't waste a trip to the north, a lot of banks don't open accounts in the north for southerners doing the same, unless they have legitimate business reasons, or an address in NI..
    Easiest thing to do is when you land, hit the local branch that opens with passport only (no need for permanent address that you've been in for 3 years)... I did mine with Lloyds, I think Halifax or one of the others do something similar...
    apply for your NI number ASAP... the catch 22 is you need an address they can post to, and 2 letters with that address on it ... what I did was get my employer to send a letter to my address when I started and applied for a tesco club card...
    If you don't have an NI number, like PPS in Ireland, you'll be on emergency tax and increased National insurance (their equivalent of USC)....when applying you have to go for an interview to verify Identity... I needed passport and licence (if you've no licence you've to bring birth cert) the two letters and your PPS card (if you have it), if not the number at least...
    took about a month and half to sort. So only got hit for emergency tax for 2 pay packets

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

arccosh wrote: »
    I wouldn't waste a trip to the north, a lot of banks don't open accounts in the north for southerners doing the same, unless they have legitimate business reasons, or an address in NI..
    Easiest thing to do is when you land, hit the local branch that opens with passport only (no need for permanent address that you've been in for 3 years)... I did mine with Lloyds, I think Halifax or one of the others do something similar...
    apply for your NI number ASAP... the catch 22 is you need an address they can post to, and 2 letters with that address on it ... what I did was get my employer to send a letter to my address when I started and applied for a tesco club card...
    If you don't have an NI number, like PPS in Ireland, you'll be on emergency tax and increased National insurance (their equivalent of USC)....when applying you have to go for an interview to verify Identity... I needed passport and licence (if you've no licence you've to bring birth cert) the two letters and your PPS card (if you have it), if not the number at least...
    took about a month and half to sort. So only got hit for emergency tax for 2 pay packets

Thanks for that.

I’ve got the N. I. bank account opened, so I’m okay there. I’m having the address changed to the brother’s London address ASAP and then will request them to send me a statement. I’ve changed my AIB statements also, and they’ve posted out some statements to the London address too. So I’m hopinh that will cover me, along with passport. Do you think that’s enough? Haven’t got a license, but have my PSC card, which is the new PPS card.

I’m arriving on 6th. Start work on 11th.

You suggest going to Job Centre Plus on 7th to get ball rolling? They have a number to call on the website but it’s UK only.

Also, if emergency taxed (which I expect I will be for a month at least) is it hard to get that back?

Thanks a mill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

Happy days, UK account with UK address will definitely look well..

I would nearly bring my birth cert just in case... I've been told it's totally dependednt on the clerk (or possibly if you look a bit different in your passport photo, to what you do now).. but it's up to you..

Ring the job centre for an appointment when you land....if you ring before, tell them you are in the country, I rang from Ireland, said I hadn't moved yet, but wanted to arrange an appointment, they said ring when I actually move.. (I used 0044800.... you get charged though if you ring from Ireland)

A letter from work HR will be help too.

If it's PAYE, I got my tax back in the pay packet after I submitted my NI number to HR... Emergency tax I think with NI added was about 30/35% of my pay (usually only about 20-25%)... HMRC have this annoying habit of always undertaxing people so they're in arrears yearly (might only be 80 -100 quid) but means there's always some issue with them... just do like in Ireland and submit a P21 every 2 or 3 years... but overall, PAYE wise, I've never had an issue other than that... (here 4 yrs)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

arccosh wrote: »
    Happy days, UK account with UK address will definitely look well..

I would nearly bring my birth cert just in case... I've been told it's totally dependednt on the clerk (or possibly if you look a bit different in your passport photo, to what you do now).. but it's up to you..

Ring the job centre for an appointment when you land....if you ring before, tell them you are in the country, I rang from Ireland, said I hadn't moved yet, but wanted to arrange an appointment, they said ring when I actually move.. (I used 0044800.... you get charged though if you ring from Ireland)

A letter from work HR will be help too.

If it's PAYE, I got my tax back in the pay packet after I submitted my NI number to HR... Emergency tax I think with NI added was about 30/35% of my pay (usually only about 20-25%)... HMRC have this annoying habit of always undertaxing people so they're in arrears yearly (might only be 80 -100 quid) but means there's always some issue with them... just do like in Ireland and submit a P21 every 2 or 3 years... but overall, PAYE wise, I've never had an issue other than that... (here 4 yrs)

Great. This has been helpful! Appreciate it.

Advertisement