Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost to connect portacabin

Options
  • 28-04-2018 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭

How much should I expect to pay to connect a portacabin to the house supply. I'm not sure if it makes a difference but it will be beside a house.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

hairyslug wrote: »
    How much should I expect to pay to connect a portacabin to the house supply. I'm not sure if it makes a difference but it will be beside a house.

Very hard to say without a lot more information, such as:
    • Is this a temporary arrangement or long term?
    • Does cabling have to be buried? If so who digs the trench?
    • Is the wiring in the portacabin compliant with current regulations or would it need to be modified? Obviously any competent electrician can't connect something that they are not fully confident is safe.
    • What electrical loads are in the portacabin ?Just a few lights and a socket or two?
    • Does the portacabin have its own distribution board?
    • Would an outdoor socket suffice? That way you could simply plug the portacabin into the socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

2011 wrote: »
    Very hard to say without a lot more information, such as:
    • Is this a temporary arrangement or long term?
    • Does cabling have to be buried? If so who digs the trench?
    • Is the wiring in the portacabin compliant with current regulations or would it need to be modified? Obviously any competent electrician can't connect something that they are not fully confident is safe.
    • What electrical loads are in the portacabin ?Just a few lights and a socket or two?
    • Does the portacabin have its own distribution board?
    • Would an outdoor socket suffice? That way you could simply plug the portacabin into the socket.

I'll try and give as much info as possible (I know feck all about this so excuse my lack of knowledge)

Chances are the cabin will be there for at least 12 months

It will be on the opposite side of the house to the fuse board. There is a connection up in the attic which follows the satellite cables down.

I would presume that it is compliant, it is coming from a main supplier

There will be a few lights and a few sockets being used, can't imagine I'll be in it enough to justify having heating on.

It has a single phase consumer unit and switch fused spur(had to google that)

Advertisement