Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barrow Walk - Bagenalstown to Graignamanagh

Options
  • 27-04-2018 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping to do the Barrow walk from Bagenalstown to Graignamanagh on Sunday. I haven't done this walk before so I'd appreciate some info and answers to some silly questions!

Where should I park in Bagnalstown?
    Where do people normally start this section of the Barrow walk?
    Any other useful info ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

You can park beside the river in Bagenalstown. There’s good car parking there near the swimming pool.

I’d be more inclined to do Goresbridge to st mullins I think. Although either is nice.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Another vote for Goresbridge to St. Mullins.Are you planning to walk down and back or will you have a second car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

Thanks for the replies!

There are 4 of us - and we'll have 2 cars. No particular reason why we picked Bagenalstown to Graignamanagh - just want to do a 4 or 5 hour section and reckoned Graignamanagh was a good spot to finish?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

For me, the best part of the Barrow track is Graigue to St. Mullins.The scenery is beautiful. If you are going back to Goresbridge anyhow, you could take in the Step House in Borris for food or else the Lord Bagnel in Leighlinbridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

For me, the best part of the Barrow track is Graigue to St. Mullins.The scenery is beautiful. If you are going back to Goresbridge anyhow, you could take in the Step House in Borris for food or else the Lord Bagnel in Leighlinbridge.

You'd be missing Clashganny then and the approach to Graig. The section between Goresbridge and Bagenalstown is fine too in it's own way - you get a real feeling on that of being away from it all, whereas other parts of the river are closer to roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

Thanks for the suggestions. On Sunday the plan was to go from Goresbridge to St. Mullins but due to some delays in getting to the the start we cut it a little short and went from Borris to St. Mullins.

It was just short of 11 miles and took just under 4 hours - we weren't in any particular hurry.

It was a lovely sunny walk for about an hour and then it lashed rain for about 1.5 hours.
    We stopped for coffee in the Waterside cafe in Graiguenamanagh for about 20 minutes. The sun came out then and the walk from Graig to St. Mullins was great. It was the best section that we covered that day - and the sunshine helped!

We had dinner in the bar in the Step House in Borris - it was excellent - thanks for the recommendation byhookorbycrook.

Advertisement