Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Energy Survey

Options
  • 27-04-2018 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I received a call from a company based in Dublin who advise me that they will come out to my home and check my home heating and how I am heating my home and our boiler use and that they can tells how to save money on our bills ect.

Insist that my wife be there when they call out and they are telling me this is free , when I google the company they seem to be a solar company ? they also tell me they got my number from the online directory my wife now tells me we are Ex Directory any one any experience with this ?

I have since researched and it appears the energy survey is to get the sales guys into your home , the company is a solar company i googled it Solar Craft

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

High pressure sales pitch coming your way.

They'll have a "special offer" just for you and just for "today".

They'll then call their office, say you are very nice people and is there anything else that can be done. Suddenly a new offer. Sales guy will be "amazed" such an offer has been made. Wishes he got such a price for his house.

Some suckers fall for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Rob Daly wrote: »
    Insist that my wife be there when they call out ....

Divide and conquer...... you will see through the fake promises and will be inclined to ask the guy to leave. Your wife will be taken in by the 'save the planet' pitch and will be eager to hear more. Out of pure frustration, you will eventually cave in and agree to go to the next step in the process.

Do not let them into your house, especially when they're so brazen as to insist that your wife is there for the pitch.

Tell them that your brother is an environmental economist and wants to sit in instead, bet they run a mile!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

I've had a couple of calls from them, despite being on the no direct marketing telephone list!
    The last time they rang I informed them that they will be reported to the regulator.

I think I once actually contacted them at an ideal homes show or similar and wanted to know the details, but they refused to meet me without my wife, and my wife refused to meet them as she isn't really technically minded and would just be bored. (I have her permission to make those sort of decisions, she gets to decide what colour paint, carpets etc. are got).

The fact that they were insisting on her being present set alarm bells ringing in my head too, I doubt I would let them in the door as I think they would be concentrating on high pressure sales instead of giving me useful figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,287 ✭✭✭✭Victor

my wife now tells me we are Ex Directory
    Note that there are different levels of ex-directory. Just because you aren't in the printed directory doesn't mean you aren't available via, say, 11811.

Try 11811 and https://www.eirphonebook.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Ask them to remove your details from their marketing list and remind them that under forthcoming GDPR legislation they need to have consent to use people’s details like this.. And don’t entertain them. Nothing like this is ever “free”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

So someone or company you never heard of ring you and you allow them into your house?
    I don't care if it was free or if they are paying me, i'd never let anyone into my house unless I initiated the invite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Davids43

In the same fashion I received a phone call from this company , they did come to our home and did attempt to look at our heating system my son in law is a plumber and they certainly didnt appear to be checking anything that made any sense to him.

What followed was were told we needed solar and that solar was the only thing we really needed done , in a very organised sales pitch this solar company told us we could avail of a special offer on the day as we lived close by to a main road. Its very clear this company are calling out to sell solar. More interesting was the foul mouthed sales man who had used the F word more than 5 times in ten minutes. Needless to say we sent them on there way.

Davids43 wrote: »
    What followed was were told we needed solar and that solar was the only thing we really needed done ...
    Davids43 wrote: »
    Its very clear this company are calling out to sell solar.

Whatever about their tactics, it's hardly surprising what they're trying to sell, given their name .... http://www.solarcraft.ie/

and the fact that the OP gave us that info. in his first (and only) post...
    ..the company is a solar company i googled it Solar Craft

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Simple solution. Don’t answer the door when they call.

Gdpr should stop all this crap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

how can they insist your wife be there - is that even legal ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Tell them you energy needs have since been met and fulfiled by a spirtual entity called e.g. 'Zenon' (or something catchy like that).
    Mention that you have since 'rejected all material items and energy dependent goods', and live a life of elevated empty incandescent bliss.

Ask them to bring their own wives down for an informal lecture on this Zenontology, a short 4hr slideshow presentation and 'personality test'.

As great as solar is, at 53oN it might be handier down in Spain, on the plain, where they hardly see any rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dflynner

Had a visit from this company called us saying they were energy craft and were offering a free survey they came to our home , the guy that walked in had'nt a clue about home heating. Suggested we needed solar panels installed , was there for all of five minutes before this suggestion was made. Our boiler was'nt checked , nor was the insulation checked. This guy was clearly in our home to sell solar only.

don't let energy craft into your home they are clearly selling solar only.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Anyone offering a 'free survey' is going to tell you that you need whatever they sell. You'll be told you have the hardest water in the world and it'll destroy your appliances/plumbing if you get a 'free water hardness survey', and be flogged a water softener; if someone offers a 'free heat loss survey' you'll be shown a FLIR camera screen and told all these heat escape areas need whatever insulating they sell etc etc etc.

Don't bother with any of them, ever.

L1011 wrote: »
    Anyone offering a 'free survey' is going to tell you that you need whatever they sell.

+1 Pity the lot of the single-solution salesman ....... 'when all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.'

Advertisement