Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Questions regarding License

Options
  • 27-04-2018 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi guys,

A few quick questions. My brother is going abroad and leaving me his motorbike.

I have a car driver's license from 2008 which I believed covered motorbikes? Is that correct or do I know need to get a separate license? I used to drive a 125cc on the car license because I think it was covered.

If I do need to get a separate license what are the requirements? Do I need to sit the theory test again or is it the same as the car theory test?

if the bike is over 125cc and I need lessons can I rent bikes from the instructor for that purpose rather than restricting the bike?

Can I get the bike insured without a license? I am just worried if it got robbed or whatever.

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I have a car driver's license from 2008 which I believed covered motorbikes? Is that correct or do I know need to get a separate license? I used to drive a 125cc on the car license because I think it was covered.

If you passed the test in Ireland 2008, you only ever had a licence for car and tractor (cats B&W). You may ride nothing on two wheels apart from a bicycle.
    If I do need to get a separate license what are the requirements? Do I need to sit the theory test again or is it the same as the car theory test? ... if the bike is over 125cc and I need lessons can I rent bikes from the instructor for that purpose rather than restricting the bike?

If you got a theory test prior to August of 2006 for the car, you won't need to repeat the theory test because that theory test is still valid today on foot of your full car licence and it covered both cars and bikes - the "Type 1" theory test. If you're in doubt, call the NDLS and ask them if that's the one you have on your record. You might have to take a motorcycle theory test.

After resolving the theory test issue, you need to get a learner permit in the category you require - as you're over 24, I suggest getting the learner categories for all four types of bikes - AM, A1, A2, A - scooters, small bikes, medium bikes and full power, unrestricted bikes. No more restrictions - you can ride any power bike you can get insurance for as you're over 24.

Then you need to take IBT for the category you require - again, I suggest you go for category A IBT - you can use a school bike for all of your training - all bikes and equipment is provided by the school. All you need is a permit and show up sober!! You can buy whatever bike you like and you can still get the big bike licence by passing the test on your instructor's bike later on. The cost of IBT is about €500.

At that stage you need to wait 6 months and take the full licence test. If you pass, you're away - you can remove the L vest and you won't need an 'N' vest.
    Can I get the bike insured without a license? I am just worried if it got robbed or whatever.

thank you

I'm no insurance expert but it's doubtful - I think your problem is around the "insurable interest" for you in a bike you don't legally own. Also, they usually ask to see your licence. A learner permit would do at that stage, obviously.

Advertisement