Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hitachi Rewire

Options
  • 27-04-2018 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭

I posted this in the diy section, but it was suggested i might get more help here

So I've just acquired a secondhand Hitachi circular saw. It's 110v, 15 amp. The previous owner cut the power cord about a foot from the saw end, and joined cable to it. Thing is, the saw is double insulated, so 2 core, and the replacement cable is 3 core. The wires are just wound together and held with insulation tape, with the ground just floating.

I want to replace the full cable, so two questions

a) would 1.5mm sq be suitable for this tool, or should I go larger

b) can I just leave the ground pin without any connection like you would in 13amp plug top with two core cable, or is there a specific 110v plug for 2 core

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I can't answer your technical questions but does the saw have a transformer if you're using it for DIY purposes?

110v is for building sites. Our domestic supply is 230v.

Apologies if this is really obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭cletus

Wheety wrote: »
    I can't answer your technical questions but does the saw have a transformer if you're using it for DIY purposes?

110v is for building sites. Our domestic supply is 230v.

Apologies if this is really obvious.

Yep, have a transformer, thanks though

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

cletus wrote: »
    Thing is, the saw is double insulated, so 2 core, and the replacement cable is 3 core.

Double insulated = no requirement for an earth.

The wires are just wound together and held with insulation tape, with the ground just floating.

Not a proper / safe connection
    @15 amps a poor connection can overheat / melt / go on fire.

I guess you may know this :)

I want to replace the full cable, so two questions

Good idea :)
    a) would 1.5mm sq be suitable for this tool, or should I go larger

Yes once the cable run is not too long. I would suggest no longer than 10m. Longer cable run = excessive volt drop = reduced power output
    b) can I just leave the ground pin without any connection like you would in 13amp plug top with two core cable,

Yes

or is there a specific 110v plug for 2 core

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭cletus

2011, thanks for the response, I was aware of both no need for ground, and the fire hazard.

The run will probably be no more than two metres.

Really, it was just the size of the cable, and I'd never wired a 110v plug, and you answered both queries more than adequately.

Thanks again

Advertisement