Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 ring gas hob - Starts fine but won't stay lit.

Options
  • 27-04-2018 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've a 10 year old gas hob which is well taken care of i.e. it's properly cleaned every day and the removable components (cap?) that sit on top of the gas supply for each ring are taken off and washed then returned to their correct position and all has been perfect. The odd time the removable cap isn't seated correctly when put back on and as a result the ring won't fire up next time it's used but that's easily fixed be re-seating the cap correctly.

20180427-07591524818886.jpg

Lately the "big" ring in the centre of the hob has been behaving weirdly. It fires up first time 100% and as long as I keep the control knob depressed (so it is sparking) I can control the volume of gas up and down and it stays lit but as soon as I let go the knob it goes out and the supply of gas to the ring seems to stop as I have tried using a lighter to see if gas continues to come through and it doesn't light up.

Does this mean the knob is somehow defective? Is it a common issue and is there a DIY solution or do I need to call an engineer to repair it?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I don't know if there is a DIY solution but what happens when you light that up is that pushing down the knob to light the gas also cuts out the safety feature fitted to the side of the gas ring. When cold the safety no flame cut out does just that no flame no gas. When there is a flame the cut out warms up and switches the gas to the ring on. Thats why normally you have to hold down the knob when you light the gas for the safety device to warm up.

Therefore the problem is with that no flame safety device.

Edit> Sorry my terminology is wrong its a "Flame Failure Device" or FSD "Flame Supervision Device" that isn't working - https://www.thegascompany.ie/content/10-what-is-ffd-flame-failure-device-or-fsd-flame-supervision-device .

I suspect you could get a spare and replace the FFD but I'm not sure if you are allowed to?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Thanks my3cents, that makes complete sense. The hob is 10 years old the the centre ring is the one which gets most use so not surprising it's the one which will have a component failure first. I'd like to think the FFD is an easy (and DIY) replacement rather than an entire hob replacement or an engineer job but as it's gas if it's not an approved/simple DIY job c'est la vie. I won't be messing around with some sort of hack to save a few quid, that's for sure!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The replacement part is just a thermocouple and often pushed in at one end and screwed into the controller at the other, not a difficult repair but as I said I doubt you are supposed to be messing with anything to do with gas.

A new hob would be about €200 we have almost the same one as you which came brand new from an eBay seller for around €100 but you have to keep looking for a while to get a bargain like that.

Advertisement