Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electric cable question

Options
  • 27-04-2018 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

The pic attached is what my electrician left me with. I am now looking to put plaster board up and therefore need to tidy this up. My intention is to tie it up over the warm board.
    Is it safe for me to handle this in order to do this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Give your electrician a call, one reason for not putting plaster board up is if the cable run is in the wrong place. You can see it now so its OK but if you put plasterboard over it you can't, then you decide to hang something on the wall and end up putting a nail through the cable. afaik there are some rules that govern where cables are run in walls to reduce the chance of accidents.

I don't see why any cable a genuine electrician leaves should be unsafe to handle?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

No photos attached....

Where is it and where is it going?

Is there space behind the board for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

sorry folks - I forgot to attach the photo :(

My worry is its the feed into the board - so no fuses to save me if something goes wrong.

I see your point about putting it behind the plasterboard - would some ducting round it and covering it with the plasterboard then ?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

RobAMerc wrote: »
    sorry folks - I forgot to attach the photo :(

My worry is its the feed into the board - so no fuses to save me if something goes wrong.

I see your point about putting it behind the plasterboard - would some ducting round it and covering it with the plasterboard then ?

thanks

If you can get conduit to cover or bury into the existing wall that would be ideal.

If you have any worries at all ask the electrician to sort it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

sorry, photo kept failing to upload.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I'd put the plasterboard up and leave the ESB cables on the surface and then fit them in a piece of trunking. Then you know where they are but they are tidied up a bit.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Thread moved from DIY to Electrical

Advertisement